Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is an older one, but was very spry until a few days ago. She is having problems with her right hind quarter, moving very slowly and lying around alot. The good news is that so far today she seems a bit better. She is eating but maybe not as much as she should. I guess it could be arthritis, or maybe she stepped into a hole. We are checking on her about 3 times a day, and hoping today is the begging of her recovery.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Jim,
I'm not much of a cow man. Dad was, but he called the vet a lot to keep the 40+ Holsteins up and moving. One of the keys to cow health is that they can get up. If they cant its not a great sign. We had several that we helped and hoisted and hoped.
Keep us posted.
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, you are right about the indictor of the health of a cow, and I'd add most all farm animals, being dependent upon it being able to get up and move about. I was more worried yesterday than today, yet I know things can turn either way quickly. She won't let me get real close to her even with sweet feed, but she will eat it if I put it on the ground a ways from her. She might still be havin' a grudge cuz I sent her youngun away about 2 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for asking Mike. She is some better. She is moving about the pasture well and staying up with the others. She still may be a little slower, but for now she is doing good.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
good. if they lay down too much they can get pinched nerves.

if she will let you get close enough.. inspect her hooves..

best of luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts