Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to... someone, stranger or even family, told you a sob story and you bought it.
Long story short, wife wakes me up from a nap Saturday, guy is at the door on a bicycle, claims he knows Frank (preacher at the next door church) and that he needs a ride, his wife is broke down at an Arby's a couple miles down with a baby and she has no more cab fare and he needs to get there before the cabby leaves her... I grab my wife's step grandpa and we get in my Dodge. He gets in the back seat, I get his bike in back. I am suspicious but since he said he knows Frank I feel he could not make that up.

I cross and intersection and head over the bridge towards the Arbys.. he is on a cell phone saying "dude dude don't take off we are on our way.." now I am not sure if this is the cab driver, who calls the wife "dude"? Then he says "Hey turn around, she's at the McDonald's on Chatham..." I turn but say "How did she get from the Arby's down here to the McDondalds?" He is silent..... Curt is keeping an eye on him..he's clad in shorts, tee shirt and shorts, has a lazy eye and a deep scar on his chin grown over with five o clock shadow... I keep my eye on him in the rear view.

We pull in the McDonald's parking lot. I see no woman and child nor a cab. Soon as I pull down the tailgate he grabs that bike and books it!Not even a thank you. At this point I realize I have been snookered and I am MAD. I have to re attatch the back of my bed cover, get back in the truck. I have to pull out across the four lane, wait at the light. He is on the bike about 1/8th mile on the other side of the intersection, traffic is light. I stay in the right lane, and roll up on him with the window down. His eyes widen!

"WHERES THE WIFE AND BABY??" I yell! He babbles something about her being at some gas station that I know is not on the street he names. I yell "DONT EVER COME ON MY PROPERTY AGAIN...." only in a bit stronger language.

I'm always one to help those who are down, but man oh man I hope I never see this jerk again. I should have known by the way he was talking fast, he was trying to catch someone to get some speed or something if I had to guess. Had the kids not been at the house, I'd have called the local PD and gave a report, but I did not want them to wonder what the cops were there for. I have not spoken with Frank next door yet but he may know him and maybe he did some odd job for him, or stole from the collection plate!

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Yes I would say you have been suckered, I guess many, if not most people have been one way or another.You'll know better next time, charity begins at home.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It happens every day but most don't turn out good. they try to rob you or they have 2 or 3 friends waiting to help them beat you and rob you. I never (not any more) go out with strangers to check on any thing. Glad you are ok and not hurt laying up in a hospital some where... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
JR is right. I coulda turned out much worse for you or someone in your family. Sorry it happened but so very glad nothing but your pride was hurt.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know hindsight is twenty-twenty, but you should have "helped" him by calling 911 in the first place. I'm not much on helping people anymore, as there are so many scammers out there. Sure glad you escaped with your skin and purse intact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts