Antique Tractors Forum banner

Got Taters in This Mornin' and Helpers(pics)

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
Mrs. Jim and I got out early before the rain came and put taters in the ground. I cut the spot Thursday afternoon before with the Long and laid the rows off this mornin' and covered 'em with the Super A. I plowed the land last fall and it has frozen out very little this winter nor has it had enuff rain to run the soil together. It is the softest I can ever remember fall plowed land in these parts. Our soil usually has a hard crust in the spring.

See less See more
#2 ·
My My jim you got potatoes out .No way for a while up here . Way to muddy. We are still eating potatoes from last year. Had a baked potatoe last night & was so good. Your ground looked in great shape.

#3 ·
Very nice! The Farmall hits close to home :) The ground looks beautiful - very glad that you guys have weather permitting you to get started! What kind(s) of potatoes do you all plant in your area? It's mostly Kennebecs and Pontiacs up here it seems like... at least in my family.

#6 ·
single tree farm said:
Very nice! The Farmall hits close to home :) The ground looks beautiful - very glad that you guys have weather permitting you to get started! What kind(s) of potatoes do you all plant in your area? It's mostly Kennebecs and Pontiacs up here it seems like... at least in my family.
We plant Kennebec and Red taters. I can't remember the proper name for the Reds, but that is what everyone in these parts calls them. That's all my grandaddy, Mom's Dad, ever planted.

#7 ·
bettyp said:
My My jim you got potatoes out .No way for a while up here . Way to muddy. We are still eating potatoes from last year. Had a baked potatoe last night & was so good. Your ground looked in great shape.
Betty, do yall do anything special to help keep your taters firm and keep them from sprouting over the winter? Some years I have good luck, and some not.

#9 ·
I generally use only two pesticides on my veggies. Dipel aka BT dust is used on cabbage, broccoli, and similar veggies for worm control. We also used this for tobacco budworm control. I use a liquid Ortho product, Ortho Max I think, that comes in red quart bottles and I usually find it at Lowes Hardware stores or Walmart. The Ortho is effective on dozens of insect types and works well on the variety of tater bugs we have here. I use a 2 or 3 gallon sprayer to apply it. I usually only need two bottles per season.

#10 ·
we plant supirour for early kennibeck for storage yukon gold yellowishsweet flesh and reds plant date middle to late april growers in south western ont close to lake erie green sprout potatoes in greenhouse middle of march plant first of april [lay out potates warm up and sprout before planting]

#12 ·
petra79 said:
Wow, looking good Jim. Glad you got em in before that nasty storm you got.

We're hoping to finally have a nice sized garden this year so I may be askin lots of questions from you all.
Ready to serve if I can and am able :!: :D

#14 ·
I will have to check out the Ortho... I've read about the Dipel in some of the literature I've acquired through the Coop Extension office for the "hearty" vegetables... I've also seen a special formula for these bugs - I will have to check out the ingredients and see what's going on with it. It's very apparent that you know what you guys are doing it right - so I will more than gladly follow suit.

#15 ·
single tree farm said:
Second question for you Jim... Colorado Potato Beetle... have you found a method that works for keeping them at bay yet? That tends to be a recurring issue for us...
/

Jim we just put them in boxes when it get cold we put them in our garage & lay newpaper over them. Very few potatoes we buy.

#16 ·
I do about the same thing Betty. I put 'em in wooden boxes in my shop and cover them with old blankets or cloths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.