Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm ashamed to say it but the tobacco will be set three weeks today and I just got it plowed the first time last night. Always do it in the first week but the weather just aint been agreeable when I was off and able. The ground worked up a lot better than I was expecting and had good moisture in it. I side dressed 500lbs of ammonia nitrate which is 27 percent now instead of 34 percent so hopefully it will get up and go. When I plow it the last time I'll probably hit it with another 300 lbs depending on how it looks and that should push it till the end. I also hope we get to plow it a couple of times in between. I got to say though the prowl has done pretty good, not to much in it for sod ground and all the wet weather before it was plowed. I hate to say it after all the above but it sure would be good to get a good rain after the plowing.

Here it is before we got started.

I wondered going down the row just how many miles I have driven watching tobacco or corn go by the edge of the grill and the hopper on the side dresser.

Brandon got in on the act some to, Ok maybe most of it but somebody had to keep the trailer with the ammonia from rolling off.

By the way Dave and Jim if you all read this notice the shirt and hat. :) :) :)

Here it is after we got done.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Yall got it looking good Gordon :!: The new shirt and hat complete the pics :!: Who had the most fun, you or Brandon :?: :lol:

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
All that hard work makes the last photo worth it. That is one pretty tobacco patch. :cool:
I agree the attire complements the equipment. :mrgreen: I'll bet you noticed it worked a bit better for you today. ;)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Who would have thought that Red would have been so particular about clothing and apparel that supported his own family... I think he probably worked harder last night for us than he has in years - you all are definitely on to something. And Jimmy - I'd imagine it would be a toss up as to who enjoyed it more. I can tell you that he took back to it like putting on an old shoe... where as I think this was probably the first time I ever actually plowed out and side dressed the tobacco without dad following me or riding on the quick hitch when it was attached to show me how to do it... this crop is the first in a long while for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
single tree farm said:
Who would have thought that Red would have been so particular about clothing and apparel that supported his own family... I think he probably worked harder last night for us than he has in years - you all are definitely on to something. And Jimmy - I'd imagine it would be a toss up as to who enjoyed it more. I can tell you that he took back to it like putting on an old shoe... where as I think this was probably the first time I ever actually plowed out and side dressed the tobacco without dad following me or riding on the quick hitch when it was attached to show me how to do it... this crop is the first in a long while for sure.
Brandon, suprisingly there's several things to watch while cultivating. Not only just to stay on the row and not plow up anything important, but one has to make sure that the fertilizer is distributed properly. I listen for "unusual" tractor and machinery sounds, too. It's becomes like riding a bike after some experience. I enjoyed it much more when the crop becomes large enough that I can move on pretty fast and move dirt to the row to cover grass and weeds without covering plants. On an offset Farmall, second gear at 3/4 to wide open throttle is my favorite speed :!: Have fun :!: ;) :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Really did look nice after you plowed it.
Give you both credit for a good job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts