Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been hard at it for the last two weeks getting the crop in... so far the wine makers are loving the quality of the grapes. But has some rain now so its all go go go when it stops.

Cheers, Will

·
Administrator
4,110 Posts
Glad your getting a quality harvest. Hope the quantity is there too. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I wish you the best Will with your harvest. Lots of former tobacco fields in NC now grow grapes. I hear mixed stories about the profitability though. I have heard that in most years there is an over supply of grapes and many are made into jam. Some farms have wineries and have added eateries. I personally they cater to a limited customer base though.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Grapes have always seemed like they would be a completely different style of farming to get used to when you've grown up around tobacco and vegetable gardens... but I think it would be a very rewarding crop to grow! Best of luck to you in the remainder of harvest!

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Good luck with the harvest. They've started picking the 'greens' here.( We grew Reisling Sylvaner many moons ago for Penfolds, Australia.).

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
William, What brand is your wine labeled? If it's available in my area, I'll get a bottle and do some Quality control for you. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
4imnotright said:
William, What brand is your wine labeled? If it's available in my area, I'll get a bottle and do some Quality control for you. ;)
If you haven't named it Will, here is a suggestion. How 'bout "AUSSOME" wine :?: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm sitting in the trusty john Deere waiting for another load from the harvester. Where I work they have their own lable visit www.elliswines.com.au red kewi are you near hawkes bay?

Cheers will

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Right in Hawke's Bay William, on the outskirts of Hastings. There's some big blocks here, up to 700 acres, my neighbour has 5 Braud harvesters that do anything from pruning to harvesting.
What model John Deere are you sitting in?

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Thanks for that, they certainly take all the back breaking work out of picking the grapes by hand.I wonder how they faired in all that rain/ :?:

·
Administrator
4,110 Posts
Nice looking rig, Will. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
William said:
Well today we finished vintage! but now the maintence begins! joys ay!
Good to have it finished. The maintenance can be a pain, but it sure pays off in the long run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts