Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday with the tiller in the garden to open it up to help dry it out. When I was done I was 6" taller until I scraped the mud off the bottom of my shoes :roll: Went out today and tilled it again. Was only 3" taller today. Have to work tomorrow, so if it doesn't rain, I'm going to till it again and plant the early stuff late :roll: There's rain in the forecast for all of next week. Garden may not get plowed this year. :eek: Can't wait much longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
We are in the same shape here. Water has been standing in the same spots for most of the last 3 months. Lots of farmers here are getting antsy.

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
I seen a guy working a field down yesterday up here, but I think it's still too wet here too. :eek:

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wind pick up this afternoon, went out this evening tilled it again. Ground was plantable, barely. Got peas, lettuce & spinach planted this evening. They're calling for rain tonite through thursday. Couldn't wait any longer

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
4imnotright said:
Wind pick up this afternoon, went out this evening tilled it again. Ground was plantable, barely. Got peas, lettuce & spinach planted this evening. They're calling for rain tonite through thursday. Couldn't wait any longer
Glad you got some planting done Steve. It's been a tough time to even get started. :?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would have like to have plowed the garden, but with rain in the forecast I needed to get it in the ground. I'm happy I finally planted my early garden late :D :roll:

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Based upon the season, it's not late. Based upon the calendar, it is. I was talking with a couple at the hardware store yesterday. They had bought several watermelons from us last year. They asked if I had been thinking about planting them this year with all the wet, cool weather. I told them that I had planted some that morning, and got a puzzled look on their faces. I went on to tell them that I was starting them now to transplant on May 1, which is when the old timers say is the traditional date to plant them here.

Then again, talk of the weather and season entered the discussion. I told them that it didn't matter how the season went, May 1 came on the same day every year :!:

We are gonna be above normal in temps for most of thi week. This also usually happens some in February and March, but not this year. The season is not in sync with the calendar. When hot weather comes, and it will, they will be together.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's tradition in my area to plant early garden around St. Patrick's day. We have some people in our area that are of Irish decent and they plant potatoes on St. Pat's day come heck or high water. :eek: Whether the ground is mud, frozen or workable.
Seems like once the temperature gets warm, the peas, lettuce, and spinach doesn't do very well

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Glad you got things in the ground. Got my early stuff planted yesterday too.
Like you say just barley workable, but rain forecast today, though we haven't seen it yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Glad to hear you guys got some stuff out. Its been a crazy year,weather wise, here also. We did get the garden disc up yesterday but didn't get anything out. Hopefully we will this week if the weather holds. The stalk ground worked good but the sod we turned last fall worked a little rough. We double cut the sod gound about three times and got it decent but with the winter we had on it it should have done better.

·
Registered
395 Posts
cultivated a couple fields on thur and again sat amazing how dry it is but that's about to end calling for a total of 3 in rain by thur frost came out overnight as water had been laying around but had disappeared by this morning

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I could have waited. They had been calling for 60% chance of rain for every day since saturday. :roll: We got 1/2 tenth Sunday night. Probably could have plowed today with no problem. Of course, I would have waited, it would have rained every day.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
I might stick a few green beans and sweet corn in the ground if I can before the rain comes on Thursday. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Put a few beans in the ground today :!: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts