Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With old man winter stickin around so late this year were a couple weeks behind on the garden, I dragged the cultivator thru it last weekend with my Columbia, today was the first day of work for the wifes JD110, we needed a couple ladders and tools to put new plastic on the greenhouse and then she went out collecting manure in the pasture.

...meanwhile, I went back to the shop to check out a Cub Cadet 127 I dragged home last week, had it fired up but its not getting enough fuel so I had to have the squirt bottle in hand... it looks rough but Ive started projects with alot worse. This one wont be staying here long, I started flippin these little GTs about 7-8 years ago, I keep the ones I like and the rest move on after I bring them back from the dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops, ok so thats the rake behind the Columbia in the first pic, I use that After the cultivator.....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked up this older Allis Chalmers 718 last week, not running at the time but I have had it running now. has blowback out the carb so Im going to pull the head off for a look at the valves. It has a Kohler K361, 18hp OHV single cyl which is kind of an oddball engine since it was only built two years, '78 and '79... and the first one Ive had here even tho Ive had over 100 differant lawn/garden tractors here over the last 6-7 years.

So hopefully it wont need to much work, the AC tractors are built by Simplicity and they are 'Well Built' machines, the objective is to get it up into good 'Ready to Run' condition and flip it.... its not a hobby... its an Addiction. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that little A-C. They were built as tough as any garden tractor of the time.
I like the Simplicity machines in general, I had a 917 awhile back, and a Deutz Allis front mower with rear steering.... Im currently putting together another one of those to keep for myself. The first one had just a 42" deck but the next one will have a 48". They were available in several variations with the biggest having a 16hp B/S Vanguard twin and hydraulic drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got inside the AC718 engine today and found the intake valve seat is beaten up and bouncing around loose in the hole so now I'll be searching for a head :(

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then you'll really like the next build Im working on. I have several of those front mowers and will be keeping one for myself but I dont like the tiny twin fuel tanks it has so I picked up a small aluminum beer keg that I plan to mount on the back and use to hide a fuel tank and small tool storage compartment.

I was very impressed with the first Deutz Allis I built, front mowers in general mow about the same speed as a Zero Turn but you have a steering wheel and they are easier to mount/dismount, they also get under the edges of trees/hedges better than a ZT or tractor mounted mower. Ive tried out several front mowers including models from Kubota and JD, but the Simplicity built models are my personal favorite.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need to work on this sprayer so I pulled the RaM out for a little sunshine today... and both needed a wash;)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Working on a couple of these front mowers lately, got the green one put together and cutting grass a few days ago, just test drove the orange one today after swapping out the original 12hp single for a 14hp Vanguard twin....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Thats a sharp one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The orange AGCO paint is badly faded and doesnt cleanup as nice as the green Duetz paint but either way these are impressive mowers to use, twice as fast as any tractor with a belly deck, more comparable to a Zero Turn mower but with a steering wheel, there was also a snowblower available but I havent come across one yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Built wooden railings for the rear tilt deck on this rig yesterday, good place for a can of gas... or a box of beer. Lol

14hp Vanguard twin / 48" deck and cutting 2' of grass, these things are like mini swathers....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re-purposed some JD fender shims to create front weights/bumper on the '57 RaM....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up this Ford Lgt100 freebie earlier in the week, '77 with a 10hp Kohler, manual trans and 42" deck. Took a couple days to get the bugs sorted out but its a working machine now. I also have a very similar Ford Lgt165 with a 16hp hydro and 48" deck but its missing the engine covers so what I will do is put these covers on that tractor and flip it... I'll keep this 100 for myself and get creative with the body work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts