·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
nice looking rig!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When someone offers up free tractors I have only one question.... What the Address??? Lol

Sometimes they are just junk but every now and then theres a good score... these LGT Fords happen to be one of my favorite models so Ive already got a good parts dept on hand, in the past Ive sold 5 or 6 of them and still had 3 others here before this one came along. I like the earlier models that didnt have the side engine panels so thats where Im gonna do a little creative metal fab on this latest one and put the opensided steel dash and bodywork onto it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I'm glad you have parts! I may have to hit you up for some. My Oliver 75 and Ford 75 are the same except for the paint!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The 75s were rebadged Jacobsen LT700/750 models and quite a bit differant than their GT(Ford LGT) models so I dont have much for parts on those. The Oliver 105/125/145 are the same as my LGT Fords except for minor differances in the hood and grill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Needed to load a sickle mower into a pickup truck but I dont have the loader on my Ford 861 yet so this was my solution... JD110 and an engine hoist.. hey, whatever gets it done right;)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Had the Columbia dragging the spring tine harrows on the driveway today, do this 3 or 4 times a year to bring the gravel up to the surface

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Columbia is one of my fav GTs, 1000 lbs, proper fiber disc clutch and 16hp B+S, had it for several years now.

Pops, I see you have a Ford LGT.... another of my favs... have four of them right now, 2 openside and 2 closed, always liked the relatively easy attachment system on those Jakes.

This am I dragged this Cub Cadet 127 into the shop, its been here nearly a year waiting for me to find some time, it came with a snowblade and I have a mower deck I can add to it.... had it running today so thats the first major hurdle.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lance, is the difference between the open and closed sided LGT's just cosmetic or are the mechanicals different?
Can't say I've ever seen a Columbia before but it looks stout.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The closed sided LGT have rubber mounted engines, and the spring return for the rear pto is differant but otherwise they are identical tractors just differant bodywork and dash panel.

The Columbia is the Canadian and UK version of an MTD 960, the MTD 990 is more popular because its hydrostatic... but... IMO the 960 with its friction disc clutch has the advantage for heavy pulling or pushing snow... most manual trans GTs use a pulley against the drive belt and call that a clutch, it does the job, sort of, but it wont hook like a real clutch does... and there is actually not many GTs that weigh 1000 lbs.... thats comparable to a JD 400 series

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I like the looks of the openside better but the rubber mounted engine in the closed sided models is significantly quieter. Ive got an open side project on the go.. I want an LGT with a K361 and friction disc clutch.... This is the last pic I took of it before stripping it down for rebuild...

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well the Cub sold quick so Ive brought this MTD 960 into the shop to see if I can get it going, it has compression but no spark. This is basically the same tractor as my Columbia so I have parts and several attachments for it. Beast of a machine for the size of them, not something you want to ride around cutting the lawn but great in the garden with a single bottom plow or cultivator, IF all goes well then I have a snowblower I can put on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Slowly making progress on this MTD, the clutch was its biggest issue and needed to be sent to a shop for resurfacing so the engine had to come out to allow that, now everything has been gone thru mechanically and Im just working on cosmetics.... rust cleanup and touchup paint.

Attachments

Reactions: SofaSpud

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
MTD is back together so Ive been putting the rebuilt clutch to the test.... its workin like it should

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,744 Posts
That's a nice stout looking garden tractor Lance.
Those tires you have on it really fill the fender wells.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thx.... used atv tires are cheapest traction you can find for these little tractors with 12" rims... people often swap out the tires on brand new quads and their takeoffs are usually cheap... $40-$60 a pair usually so I buy them whenever I see them. I got this last set of 4 for $120... Carlisle Badlands XTR radials... the 8" went on the silver tractor and the 11" went on my fav Columbia...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts