Antique Tractors Forum banner

GT activities....

13K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  Lance Skene 
#1 ·
With old man winter stickin around so late this year were a couple weeks behind on the garden, I dragged the cultivator thru it last weekend with my Columbia, today was the first day of work for the wifes JD110, we needed a couple ladders and tools to put new plastic on the greenhouse and then she went out collecting manure in the pasture.

...meanwhile, I went back to the shop to check out a Cub Cadet 127 I dragged home last week, had it fired up but its not getting enough fuel so I had to have the squirt bottle in hand... it looks rough but Ive started projects with alot worse. This one wont be staying here long, I started flippin these little GTs about 7-8 years ago, I keep the ones I like and the rest move on after I bring them back from the dead.

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
The closed sided LGT have rubber mounted engines, and the spring return for the rear pto is differant but otherwise they are identical tractors just differant bodywork and dash panel.

The Columbia is the Canadian and UK version of an MTD 960, the MTD 990 is more popular because its hydrostatic... but... IMO the 960 with its friction disc clutch has the advantage for heavy pulling or pushing snow... most manual trans GTs use a pulley against the drive belt and call that a clutch, it does the job, sort of, but it wont hook like a real clutch does... and there is actually not many GTs that weigh 1000 lbs.... thats comparable to a JD 400 series

#32 ·
I like the looks of the openside better but the rubber mounted engine in the closed sided models is significantly quieter. Ive got an open side project on the go.. I want an LGT with a K361 and friction disc clutch.... This is the last pic I took of it before stripping it down for rebuild...

Attachments

#34 ·
Well the Cub sold quick so Ive brought this MTD 960 into the shop to see if I can get it going, it has compression but no spark. This is basically the same tractor as my Columbia so I have parts and several attachments for it. Beast of a machine for the size of them, not something you want to ride around cutting the lawn but great in the garden with a single bottom plow or cultivator, IF all goes well then I have a snowblower I can put on it.

Attachments

#35 ·
Slowly making progress on this MTD, the clutch was its biggest issue and needed to be sent to a shop for resurfacing so the engine had to come out to allow that, now everything has been gone thru mechanically and Im just working on cosmetics.... rust cleanup and touchup paint.

Attachments

Reactions: SofaSpud
#39 ·
Thx.... used atv tires are cheapest traction you can find for these little tractors with 12" rims... people often swap out the tires on brand new quads and their takeoffs are usually cheap... $40-$60 a pair usually so I buy them whenever I see them. I got this last set of 4 for $120... Carlisle Badlands XTR radials... the 8" went on the silver tractor and the 11" went on my fav Columbia...

Attachments

#41 ·
I cant give those turf tires away fast enough.Lol

pretty much done on the MTD except for adding a snowblower soooo... Ive dragged this Ford in the shop for a make over.

Attachments

#42 ·
Well the Ford project went pretty well.... so well in fact that it sold before I got the paint finished.

That left me without a mower so I started re-assembling this Simplicty built Agco Allis 1316H... 1992 with a 16hp Vanguard V-Twin, front drive/rear steer, 48" deck.... my fav mowers to date and the 5th one that Ive had.

Attachments

#43 ·
Bit of an update since I was out of the loop for a bit while moving but Im back at my old tricks now... sales were slow during covid but this year is looking a bit better. Just getting started on my 6th Simplicity front mower... a Deutz Allis 1316, it just happened to be sitting in the same guys yard as the the Cockshutt 30 I just bought so we squeezed it onto the back of the trailer.. its a little rough but only cost me $60 so should be able to turn a good profit. Got it running easily enough but had to swap out the hydro pump and still need to go thru the deck... handy little truck for around the yard......
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Sold off most everything before the move and Im being more picky about what to bring home now, had a couple nice older Sears tractors, a Gravely ZT, Troy Bilt Horse tiller, picked up a Case 446 but I need to find some attachments for it...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Plant

and still have the old Bolens RaM and Columbia....
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#45 ·
Few weeks back I had sold out of grass cutters so I had to put the deck under the Columbia temporarily... needed to borrow the smaller 24" AG tires from the RaM to clear the deck.... first time since 2012 the deck has been on the Columbia... its not the nicest riding mower but it worked in a pinch....
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

#47 ·
Ya that is a nice suspension seat on the Columbia... I put that on shortly after I bought the tractor... pricey tho... think it was about $150 at Princess Auto..... that seat and the ATV tires with only 10psi made it alot easier on the back than it was.

Same guy that had the Case 446 in the pic above also had this 1949/50ish Springfield two wheel tractor with sickle mower... his asking price was only $120 for both so had no more questions... loaded them both up. Ive had the Case running and drove it around a bit...... dont want to try starting the old Clinton 2 hp in the Springfield until I have it nicely cleaned up inside and out.... it was built by Quick Manufacturing in Springfield Ohio.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Grass Mower
Plant Lawn mower Mower Grass People in nature

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Grass Plant
Cloud Sky Tree Gas Wood

#51 ·
So far its been a light winter... it snows it melts... up to +2°C today so I pulled the Columbia out for an hour... the tractor weighs 1300#, the blade is 54" wide x 17" high and can be lifted 18" off the ground... with 2' of snow I can make a new road thru the pasture and clear off the dugout for the kids to go skating.

Wheel Tire Sky Snow Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.