Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last couple days the 861 has been a bear to start. Cranking quite a bit on a few attempts and finally it would start. Rest of the day it would start pretty good. This tractor has normally been pretty much a bump start tractor. Today we put a spark tester (thanks chris) on and #1 was non existant and the rest were extremely weak. Pulled the cap (didn't look to bad) thats only less than a year old, then the rotor (needed a good cleaning) and finally pulled the plastic cap over the points/cond. and it was full of moisture. There was actually water in the bottom of the dist???????? Not sure how it got in there, but took some Q-tips to get it out. Ran a dollar bill (highest denomination I have left) through the points, sprayed some wire dry under the cover and put it all back together and we're back to the bump start.

Question. How would water get down under that cover. I found no cracks in the dist. housing. There was no moisture under the cap. Hasn't been hot here. Actually been breezy every day. Never seen this before. Any ideas???

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Just condensation from the drastic temperature changes we've had lately Ron.
High humidity + big temp. swing = water drops forming on metal surfaces.
Make sure you run it 'till it gets up to temp a while, as inside is "sweating" just as bad.
Doesn't need to be hot outside just a 20 or 30 degree quick temp change and high humidity will do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Guess it can still get hot from the sun even though its been real breezy. Colin hooked the wagon up to it and gave his sister and her friend a couple 3 mile ride. Maybe I'll check it in a few days and see how its doine. Just never had it happen before.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There may be something in the distributor design, I have emptied moisture out of a couple of 800 series fords, and we have a pretty dry climate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I'm gonna start with replacing the cover under the rotor. Thats got the most wear. Some around the shaft. We'll see how that goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stephenscity said:
just a thought,Havn't you all had some pretty driving rains there. Maybe rain just got forced under the cap. I use to have an old 8n that we would always park with the dist, facing east incase we got a driving rain.
Actually its been real dry and windy. Finally got a good rain today. Think we've only had one other rain since we've been here and it wasn't much.
Glad we got that rain today. Planted corn and beans on wed. and potatoes and onions yesterday.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
petra79 said:
Stephenscity said:
just a thought,Havn't you all had some pretty driving rains there. Maybe rain just got forced under the cap. I use to have an old 8n that we would always park with the dist, facing east incase we got a driving rain.
Actually its been real dry and windy. Finally got a good rain today. Think we've only had one other rain since we've been here and it wasn't much.
Glad we got that rain today. Planted corn and beans on wed. and potatoes and onions yesterday.
You're way ahead of me. Won't be planting anymore here until maybe the middle of next week. Been way too cold here.Had freeze warning just last night,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stephenscity said:
petra79 said:
Stephenscity said:
You're way ahead of me. Won't be planting anymore here until maybe the middle of next week. Been way too cold here.Had freeze warning just last night,
Had a lot of cold here as well. Low 40's today. Starting Monday we're back in the 70's so we should get the rest planted during the week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts