Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
52’ TO30 won’t stay running. I can fire her up from a cold start, she’ll run smooth as a kitten, but when she warms up she starts to spit and sputter for a few seconds, then she clears up. Then it repeats, and finally she dies out! At this point she won’t start till she has completely cooled down…..
At first I thought it was electrical, but I get spark, she has 6v generator that has been rebuilt. Carb was rebuilt. New harness. Had compression test done, not great, 50’s to 60’s…. 3 of 4 Plugs have been wet. I thought it’s blow-by….
I added a full can of STP…..
This seems to made a difference, but still dies out. I’ve just done STP treatment a day ago, so I fire her up each day….

Thoughts?….

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would maybe look towards the coil. Sometimes one of those that's on their way out can cause that. rust or trash in the fuel lines, bulb, or tank can make it throw fits like that as well.

·
Administrator
4,283 Posts
A bad condenser can also cause those symptoms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would maybe look towards the coil. Sometimes one of those that's on their way out can cause that. rust or trash in the fuel lines, bulb, or tank can make it throw fits like that as well.
I’ll check all!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
52’ TO30 won’t stay running. I can fire her up from a cold start, she’ll run smooth as a kitten, but when she warms up she starts to spit and sputter for a few seconds, then she clears up. Then it repeats, and finally she dies out! At this point she won’t start till she has completely cooled down…..
At first I thought it was electrical, but I get spark, she has 6v generator that has been rebuilt. Carb was rebuilt. New harness. Had compression test done, not great, 50’s to 60’s…. 3 of 4 Plugs have been wet. I thought it’s blow-by….
This seems to made a difference, but still dies out. I’ve just done STP treatment a day ago, so I fire her up each day….

Thoughts?….
I would clean the entire fuel system, starting with the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would clean the entire fuel system, starting with the tank.
That’s a great idea makes a lot of sense!
I replaced tank last fall with new fuel shut-off, fuel line & carburetor rebuilt kit…..
I’m still trying to find out the problem!
I really appreciate your thoughts! 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thoughts?….
I've had similar ongoing issues with a Brandt forklift built from a Ford 800. Starts instantly, idles fine for a couple of minutes, then dies, especially if I accelerate beyond idle.

The problem seems to be a non-vented gas cap. It's a gravity feed (no pump), so without a vent there's not enough fuel to keep running. I bought 2 gas caps to replace (from $!%&& Tractor Supply), and neither was vented, though they were marked as such. As long as I keep the gas cap unfastened, it runs fine.

I had a similar issue this morning with a little 3" gas powered water pump. It starts and idles fine, but when I increase the throttle it surges and tries to die. Popping the gas cap instantly resolved the problem. Tighten: engine dies. Loosen: runs fine. I'll have to clean out the fuel tank vent hose tomorrow. Too hot out now to do it. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts