Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite all done but getting close enough that I can see the end. Should finish up the oats today and then there is just a field of flax to swath and let dry a while before it is ready to combine. The oats are probably my best yielding crop this year. Good bushel weight and clean . I have some video of them being harvested on the weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KJPjRFZ0A

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Rusty, it's always a good feeling to finish the harvest, especially if it is one's money crop. That is how we always felt when we finished tobacco. Too often it seemed we were hurrying to avoid a frost. About a week after finishing, most always I found myself wishing for more to gather.

·
Administrator
3,958 Posts
Nice country in your area. That's about as "wide open spaces" as you can get, and not be desert or tundra. ;)
How big a field of flax ??

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for looking folks. Theres more and better videos to come when I get the time to post them. Finished up the oat swaths today so just 140 acres of flax left to do.
This is not really "wide open country" compared to the Regina plains south of me. Now there you would go a long way to see a tree. Here I have acres of them.
Yesterday we had fantastic cloud formations rolling over and my truck driver (sister in law) took some excellent photos. One here of the IH Loadstar grain truck waiting for another load of oats.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I haven't harvested flax since 1962, which is the last year that we raised it. In previous years, we baled all of the straw and sold it to a company that used the fibers to make fine papers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dick said:
I haven't harvested flax since 1962, which is the last year that we raised it. In previous years, we baled all of the straw and sold it to a company that used the fibers to make fine papers.
How I wish we could do that here. Every year I spend several days piling and burning the straw after harvesting flax. It has to be removed as it is almost indestructible. For years there has been talk of flax straw processing plants to use the straw but it never seems to happen. Fuel and transportation costs make it impractical to move straw very far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts