Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got two hay fields baled up today, and another one other to go. Decided not to cut the other eight acres Tuesday, just in case something happens.
Wanted to make sure we would get it all done before the rain returns tomorrow if the forecast holds true. Sure enough.......a tire on the tedder went flat,
and my brother didn't notice in time to keep from tearing the tire into tiny little shreds Monday afternoon. :roll: Not one to be found in town. :| So spreading
half the hay to dry had to wait 24 hours, while one was shipped. :x Anyway..........that's the only slow down we had, so, first field done eleven acres.

Waiting to get into the next three acre field after a break for dinner.

Now we're Rollin'. ;)............

............and unloadin'. My brother says it kicks the bales out pretty good, about four or five feet. Kindda hard to see from where I'm sittin'. :?

OH, did I mention. The hose to the right three point lift cylinder blew out Monday while I was mowing.
All my hay equipment is trailer type. I wasn't using it, just had it lifted up out of the way of everything, but
I had to come up with some way to tie the lift arms up away of the hayrows. All I had handy was a 20 foot chain.

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts
Dave, you and most on here know that successful farmers are masters of inventive engineering by using what one has in the vicinity of something goin' wrong.

We baled about 300 square bales today, and I mowed he last 4 acres of my heaviest hay today. We have rain coming in Sunday night, so hopefully we have time to get it in. Afte that, I still have about 8 acres of non-fertilized ground to mow. I have a little that will bale tomorrow, but I gotta find a rake tire first. One has nearly exploded on me. It's gotten really hard to find used VW bug tires these days :!: :shock: :(

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Big Dave the baler looks to be doing a wonderful job
Glad you had pics as Henry was wondering if it was a plastic wrap baler.
Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your hayfields are looking good. We rolled about 40 rolls over the weekend on one of our fields. This area usually only produces about 22 rolls on the first cut. Boosting our fertilizer (38-38-38 @ 200 lb/acre) and the spring rains have really increased the yields for this first cut so far.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right Jim, gotta do what you have to and get the job done. Rain is supposed move in this afternoon here for the weekend. Hoping to get the other field cut Monday.
Miss Betty, I thought about getting the net wrap, but my largest customer, who buys most of what I bale, didn't want it. OK with me, saved some money. ;)
Tim, I got 50, 4'x4' bales off these two fields, coincidentally just what the manual specifies for the belt break in period. :D I rolled them as specified, a foot short and with half tension (1000 psi.) on the belts.
I'm guessing the bales weigh around 500 lbs. from what I got off the small field. It has never been rolled, but I usually get around 130, fifty pound bales on the first cutting, and I got 13 rolled bales.
My brother commented on how quiet the baler was. Said he never heard one run that quiet. I was surprised how fast I got it baled. I really like the electric auto-tie, and unloading with the pto running, and kicker.
Sure beats the way the old J.D. 510 I had tied, and unloaded. Stop, run hydraulic the string tube, turn off the pto, back up about six feet, unload, pull up, close the gate, start the pto.
Sure is nice to stop, let it tie, open the gate, close it, go. I'm gonna make one modification on the tie controller. It only uses a sound signal to identify it's ready to start to tie. I'm going to
mount a flashing l.e.d. lamp in the faceplate just under the switches, and hook it with the buzzer. Plenty of room for one. It's just not loud enough to hear well and wear hearing protection properly. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yea I usually have the radio blasting when I am rolling so I have to watch for the light to start flashing. Sounds like a nice roller. Our JD 530 operating procedure is pretty much like your 510 was. I wish we had one with a bale kicker. Ours does have the auto-tie feature, but you still have to stop the pto to dump the bale out. Our bales are 5x6 and weigh around 1200-1500 lbs each.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim, I started to go back to 5x6, but most spec a 70 h.p. tractor to run, including my old 510, and though my old 175 would run it ( pushin' 64 pto h.p.). It pushed it harder than I want for a 40 year old tractor,
and I really don't want to buy another big (for my farm) tractor. I was looking at 2 to 5 year old 5x5 and 4x6 balers when I came across this one for about the same price, and less than some.
So I figured I couldn't pass up new for about the same money as I was looking at good used that would last me fifteen years or so till I retire. Got it at the dealer in Leitchfield, nice guy to deal with. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Dave I really like the job your baler is doing and I'm sure you tickled with it also. Those rolls look good and plenty tight even though you aint crowding it yet. I'd love to find one that size someday. I bet you like the way it starts the rolls to. Glad you got it that roller will give you years of good service.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Really enjoyed the pictures and story Dave - thanks for sharing! It's not a day on the farm if something doesn't break or not go exactly as planned - but that's what keeps this lifestyle interesting! Looks like you didn't let it slow you down too much either ;) Really nice looking place too - look forward to more pictures!

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brandon, I wanted this farm every since I was a toddler. Spent a lot of time growing up and learning here. I was blessed to be able to buy it when my grandmother passed.
I've let some fence rows grow up and the woods along the creek branch fill in to keep the neighboring farms, that are now houses and neighborhoods, hidden (at least half the year. ;) )
Nothing more peaceful than coming home from work, or in my case now, gettin' up in the morning, and being surrounded by nothing but nature. I like my solitude at home.

So far I'm tickled with it Gordon. First time I can ever remember baling hay without having to stop and hand tie one that mistied, or rebale it, or pull hay outta the baler somewhere. :roll:
I'm sure it'll give me a few problems down the road. Haven't ever seen a machine that didn't, but being able to start from new and keep everything adjusted and lubricated properly will hopefully help minimize the problems.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished baling the first cutting last night. Hadn't planned to until today. Cut 2/3 of the last field Sunday night, and finished up Monday morning and hit it with the tedder.
I went yesterday about noon to hit the heavy spots again, and to my surprise, and delight it was ready to rake. Just as I finished raking a real strong whirlwind
came right through the middle of the field, about 15 yards wide. Of course across all the windrows. Wish I had the camera. It was lifting hayrows as high as the trees.
When it got to the woods, it blew the tree limbs like about a 50 to 60 mph wind. Sat there a few seconds obliterating 20 yards of my first two windrows, and dissipated.
Not enough strength to push into the woods, but sure made a mess of my windrows. :roll:
Anyway, it was dry enough, so, I decided to go ahead and roll it up after an early supper, just in case the rain moved in earlier than the weathergussers forecast.
Glad I did as showers are now forecast for mid afternoon today. Got the baler adjusted to full size after the belt break-in and, put more tension on the belts. It makes the
old tractor work about as hard as I like without pushin' it too much. I think I'll leave it like that. Seems a good fit. Got 34, approx. 900lb bales off that eight acres.
One of the best early hay seasons we've had for a while. :cool: ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Big Dave ,sounds like you and that new bailer are getting along really well.
Glad you got it done before the rain and also you will have no problem getting
to the ATS in Cynthiana , see you there Dave.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts