Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some recent pics of our haymaking efforts. Most of the pics are taken of the hayfield across from my daughter's home and the site of the winter vandalism caused by a gully-jumping truck after a snowfall. This field was fertilized, and yielded well, though a little bumpy. It was difficult to get all the truck ruts completely out.
As usual, too many tractors and not enuff operators :!: :lol:

Tree limb 1: H Muffler 0 :lol:

H, called "Old Faithful" by its original owner, at work

My IH 435 baler spit out 290 bales of hay on this day from two terraces of the hayfield.

On another day that week, we baled the horse pasture, and my daughter's horsies had to check and taste each bale for quality control purposes :!: :lol:

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Re: Haymaking on Small NC Farms(pic heavy and complete for n

Good looking yield Jimmy. :D About 50lb bales :?: I've had a few bouts with a tree limb along the edge of the fields.
I was thinkin' when I was doing up the hay, "time to trim the trees again." :roll:
Nice looking horses. Just curious, how many bales of hay per animal you average through a winter ?
Around here 100 bales is a good rule of thumb on an average year. I'm thinkin' your growing season is just a bit longer.

·
Registered
449 Posts

I miss making hay. The smells and the warm sun. I could slow down and take some time to enjoy life. I had good modern equipment so it was a joy. The thing I miss most is plowing, though, in the fall. I had a cab tractor when I was farming a lot. I plowed a 1000 acres every fall to plant wheat. It got tiring but never old. The H and a #60 2-16 hyd lift plow was fun playtime for several years after I had to quit farming.

I really enjoyed the pictures, thank you for taking the extra time so I could enjoy it, too....James

·
Registered
449 Posts

Oh, and the horses too. Did you do that just for me :D . I appreciate it. Thank You...James

·
Registered
449 Posts

We went in to town last Thursday. Pulled over at a nice hay field a friend was raking. Got out and walked around lifting some hay up and smelling it. I think Sweetie thought I had lost my mind. The neighbor called me later wanting to know if I needed something. I told him no, I was just taking in the sights, sounds and smells. He said anytime I wanted to play, just let him know. He was using his H, real tempting but I know better. If I enjoy it from afar I can live with it. Once I let it get close, it gets too painful when forced to stay away....James

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BigDaveinKY said:
Good looking yield Jimmy. :D About 50lb bales :?: I've had a few bouts with a tree limb along the edge of the fields.
I was thinkin' when I was doing up the hay, "time to trim the trees again." :roll:
Nice looking horses. Just curious, how many bales of hay per animal you average through a winter ?
Around here 100 bales is a good rule of thumb on an average year. I'm thinkin' your growing season is just a bit longer.
The horses did not eat combined much more than 100 bales this winter, maybe 125. We were warm, and the pasture grass held out until December. Also, they are on about 7 acres, so that makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

jwal10 said:
We went in to town last Thursday. Pulled over at a nice hay field a friend was raking. Got out and walked around lifting some hay up and smelling it. I think Sweetie thought I had lost my mind. The neighbor called me later wanting to know if I needed something. I told him no, I was just taking in the sights, sounds and smells. He said anytime I wanted to play, just let him know. He was using his H, real tempting but I know better. If I enjoy it from afar I can live with it. Once I let it get close, it gets too painful when forced to stay away....James
I understand how you feel James. I miss rowing tobacco, but for me to grow it like I would want, there is no money in it. It's sad that a lot of progress that is said to have been made has eliminated much of what we cherish. Thanks for the good comments.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts

ya'lls place looks so peacefull. seems like you just sit and listen to mother nature all day

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Very nice pictures of making hay. I don't miss the chaff from the baler as we stacked on wagons and transported to the barn. But do miss the smell of fresh bales of good hay in the mow.
Thanks for posting!
Nice horses too!
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

wizzard said:
ya'lls place looks so peacefull. seems like you just sit and listen to mother nature all day
The pics don't show the whole story. The mile long country road between the two farms is a popular "cut-through" and is like a racetrack morning and evening and at shift change. :(

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts

Looks like you had some good hay Jim. Glad youposted the pics, aint nothing like the smell of hay drying. The pictures bring back a lot of memories. I feel your pain on the muffler, to tell the truth I may have done that myself before. I really liked the ones looking across the hood of the H, I saw that distallate gas cap, I've only seen a couple at shows and you got two set up that way, pretty cool. You got some really pretty country there your a blessed man to get to care for it and you do a good job at it from the looks of it. Glad you all made it back safe and really glad you got your hay up before all the rain. By the way I love the horses to, I'll probably have to get a couple when we get down to the farm. Melinda grew up riding them an loves it. I keep telling her I'll find her a mule that will saddle but so far she aint going for it.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Melinda grew up riding them an loves it. I keep telling her I'll find her a mule that will saddle but so far she aint going for it.[/quote]

Ifn Melinda won't go for a mule, remind her that she would get along well with it cuz it would be as hard-headed as you were :idea: :!: :lol: It's a belief held by most wimmen. That's what I'd tell Mrs. Jim ifn I was in your position. DISCLAIMER: Not responsible for any injury that happens immediately after if you use this tactic :!:
Thanks for the kind words too. We love that the outdoors is our office, and the land is our clipboard.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

Glad to see that photobucket finally started cooperating! Very nice pictures, like everybody else said - it just kind of makes you want to stay there all day and take it all in. Looks like you've got all of the equipment in good working order too - else it wouldn't be looking nearly so nice (I have seen the other to know the difference!) Also - those horses look great, you can tell that they're well tended... I'm sure that in the process of getting it all done it was easy to lose sight of what was around you (but maybe not) but the pictures can always take you back there. Thanks for putting these up Jimmy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts