Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Bought an old Farmall 560. Figured I’d join a forum. A lot I don’t know about tractors but willing to learn. Found what appears to be a pretty well taken care of ‘58. Everything seems to work except the TA which is to be expected. Fires right up and idles pretty smooth. I needed one for the ranch.

Been getting by borrowing the father-in-law’s tractors up to this point. Sunday, one of the boys threw a rod in one of my zero turns and decided to bite the bullet and spend a little bit more on a tractor I could slap a good size mower on the back of. Didn’t want a loan for a tractor so a bit of shopping around and I found a decent used one.

The tractor
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Haven’t got it home yet. Should be Friday. Located a 2001 loader for it. I’ll pick it up Tuesday. Aftermarket 3-point has already been installed. Does need an extra set of hydraulics added to run the deck once the loader goes on. Neighbor is already ready to help freshen up the paint. Probably a good idea to do that before I put the loader on, take care of what little rust there is.

I’ve run plenty of tractors and heavy equipment in my day but never had to work on one. About to get a spoon full pretty quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He did point out, the original factory rear end did go through the warranty replacement so it’s got the newer rear end. He also replaced the point system with electronic ignition so there a small bonus.

·
Administrator
4,381 Posts
Hello and Welcome. Nice looking 560. Hope it serves you well.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
Hello and welcome to ATF! The 560 looks like it has alot of work left in its life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome to ATF! The 560 looks like it has alot of work left in its life.
It was definitely cared for.. He said hebought it around 2001 with a fresh overhaul. It’s been running strong since. One of the tires in the front is new, the other is a bit weather cracked but nothing that needs immediate attention. Both rear have a lot of life yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A shot of the rear. Only cost me $3k. Including the loader I’ll be a little under $4k.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What brand of paint are y’all using on these restores? Majic Tractor and Implement is readily available here. Looks like the old alkyd formula is the better of the two. I’ve seen bad reviews of the newer acrylic enamel busting up and peeling off within a few days. Seems like it would being water over oil base and all.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Hello. Bought an old Farmall 560. Figured I’d join a forum. A lot I don’t know about tractors but willing to learn. Found what appears to be a pretty well taken care of ‘58. Everything seems to work except the TA which is to be expected. Fires right up and idles pretty smooth. I needed one for the ranch.

Been getting by borrowing the father-in-law’s tractors up to this point. Sunday, one of the boys threw a rod in one of my zero turns and decided to bite the bullet and spend a little bit more on a tractor I could slap a good size mower on the back of. Didn’t want a loan for a tractor so a bit of shopping around and I found a decent used one.

The tractor
View attachment 22376

Haven’t got it home yet. Should be Friday. Located a 2001 loader for it. I’ll pick it up Tuesday. Aftermarket 3-point has already been installed. Does need an extra set of hydraulics added to run the deck once the loader goes on. Neighbor is already ready to help freshen up the paint. Probably a good idea to do that before I put the loader on, take care of what little rust there is.

I’ve run plenty of tractors and heavy equipment in my day but never had to work on one. About to get a spoon full pretty quick.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Very nice solid old tractor.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
Hello, welcome tp the forum. You have a nice 560 there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, we moved some logs around today to get some cleanup done. I’ve got about 420hp in my truck and I’m running 35” aggressive mud tires. Weighs about the same as the tractor. I had been using it to drag logs out back. One of the logs, it was all that truck could do to drag it out there. I wrapped that log and 2 others up and bundled them together with some log chain and hooked it up to the back of this 560 and it pulled them like they weren’t even there. It’s got some life left. There was a bit of gear grinding once in a while changing gears so I’m wondering if it probably needs a clutch.

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
May just an adjustment. You need about an inch of free play in your pedal before it engages the pressure plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts