Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IH loader. Decals are missing and the serial plat is worn off. Just has an engraved number 09010 D. I’m leaning towards it being a 1970 444 but I’m not sure what makes it a 444 vs a 2444. Any information would be appreciated. I will add pictures.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
It looks looks to me like it's been a 414 updated to a 444. It was built as a skid unit in Britain and sent to the States to be completed as the tractor it is now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks looks to me like it's been a 414 updated to a 444. It was built as a skid unit in Britain and sent to the States to be completed as the tractor it is now.
I just looked up the 414. The headlights are definitely different than the one on tractor data page. What do you make of the engraving on the serial plate? I wasn’t sure what that number and letter was telling me. Tractor data had the serial number for 1970 444 as 9010 but this is the first international I have owned so i don’t know if I’m reading things right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is th
I just looked up the 414. The headlights are definitely different than the one on tractor data page. What do you make of the engraving on the serial plate? I wasn’t sure what that number and letter was telling me. Tractor data had the serial number for 1970 444 as 9010 but this is the first international I have owned so i don’t know if I’m reading things right.
is there a way to tell if it was updated from a 414 to a 444?

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
The only way to tell is get the serial number off the aluminium plate. The serial number gives the manufacturing date of the tractor. The number with the IH emblem is the casting number for that particular casting. There's no way of knowing when it was updated , if you had comparable serial nos. of the 414 and 444 the serial number on it could give you the date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The only way to tell is get the serial number off the aluminium plate. The serial number gives the manufacturing date of the tractor. The number with the IH emblem is the casting number for that particular casting. There's no way of knowing when it was updated , if you had comparable serial nos. of the 414 and 444 the serial number on it could give you the date.
The aluminum plate only has the number 09010 D. Everything else is gone. I was looking at it earlier today and it looks like the original color was yellow if that helps any. I will try to add a picture to this post. Also, what about it looks like a 414? I see a lot of differences including the instrument cluster, grill, headlights, and mine has a toolbox on right back fender and I don’t see that on the 414.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
Being yellow it would probably have been an Industrial model. In England they put a 2 in front of the model number, in the States they put No 2 and sometimes 3. Just to designate the Industrial.
All the guages were different depending on what country they were going to. ie: German, France Australian. Take no notice of the fact that the tool box is mounted on the right mudguard.
My own 414 the tool box was mounted on the left mudguard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The left mudguard is where the battery box is located. I was wondering if it may have been an industrial model. Is there much difference in the farm vs industrial? Do you know much about the serial number tag? I can’t find much information online but I think the engraved number may be the serial number based on some images I was able to find online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the casting codes on the body they all have a R in them at the end. I think that makes it a 1970 casting

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Looks to me like you have the first one built in 1970.
Since the painter decided to sand off the painted part of the serial number tag. My best guess would be a 2444 rather than a 444.
About the only difference was a heavier front axle which yours looks to have. PTO and rear lift were options other than standard equipment on the 2444.

International Harvester 444 serial numbers (Diesel version)
YearSerial no. run
start[1]
Serial no. run
End
Number BuiltNotes
19675011189689Production calculated from serial no. range, includes 2444 and 2444 Lo-Boy
19711235713407[4]1051Last built
Total built13087

1 - 11 of 11 Posts