Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping my brother with his mower and Im stumped. Has basically the same enigne Al has on his in his post below, Kohler 23 or 25hp, I cant remember which it is! 2 tanks, valve on each tank. With both valves on, pulls gas from both tanks fine, BUT if both tanks run out, it will not start on the right tank if you only put fuel in it. You have to put it in the left tank to start it again, but with fuel in both tanks, you can turn off the left tank and it will continue to run on the right tank, unless it runs out. Now if you keep the right tank full, or not let it run out, it will continue to run and start fine. New filter and line to the T from each tank, then from the T to the pump, then to carb. I know its as easy as putting fuel in both tanks and not letting it run out, but there has to be a reason it does this. Any ideas. (He drives me batty about it at least once a month!)

·
Registered
395 Posts
check the tank vent that its not plugged it may be in the cap creating a vacuum in tank

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
corn cob said:
check the tank vent that its not plugged it may be in the cap creating a vacuum in tank
Thought about that, but he swapped the caps around before.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a tractor I have to blow fuel line out earwigs get in and restrict the flow for some reason its just the cub they do it to

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soundguy said:
with valves open and 1/2 tank in left and right full do the tanks equalize?
Bro says he doesnt know for sure, but he does know if he fills both tanks up, with both valves on they seem to go down at about the same rate to almost empty, then one, he couldnt recall which, runs out before than the other. I dont know how they could equalize though, theres only on line out of the tank to the T, then one to the pump, then to the carb, unless I missed one somewhere.

Forgot there is another line that comes from the carb area to the pump, but I assume thats the vacuum line for the pump.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
soundguy said:
if there are 2 lines. i wonder if 1 has a check in it to prevent one tank draining to the other..e tc.

Ill have to check that out next time Im over there. Ive been sick since Friday so I havent felt much like fooling with anything!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts