Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just inherited a Ford tractor and I can't figure out 1. what year it was made, 2. why does the shut off valve I have on it now not match the one I see to replace. The id marks are on the left side near the clutch pedal and the top line is 640. The second line starts with a diamond and is 63142 followed by a diamond. I used another site and it looks like a 1955 year but the folks I got it from swear its a 1957. The shut off has a sediment bowl on the right side under the tank and thats where I have a leak. I replaced the gasket and screen in the bowl but it still allows gas into into the carb. When I look up a shut off for 1957 and 55 they show shut off without the bowl and not a screw in unit like the one I took off. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,151 Posts
No Frankentractor , It's a '55 Ford 640. Just has the older style fuel lines on it.
Whether it came from the factory like that or was cheaper for a farmer to change when the original failed.
Not uncommon to see when there is a change during production..
I've got an Allis Chalmers D15 Series II. Book shows an elongated fuel bowl and flexible line to the carb
Mine has the short bowl and steel line like the original series had. Made about a year past the change.
Factories would use what stock they had on hand if it wasn't a major change during production.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Frankentractor , It's a '55 Ford 640. Just has the older style fuel lines on it.
Whether it came from the factory like that or was cheaper for a farmer to change when the original failed.
Not uncommon to see when there is a change during production..
I've got an Allis Chalmers D15 Series II. Book shows an elongated fuel bowl and flexible line to the carb
Mine has the short bowl and steel line like the original series had. Made about a year past the change.
Factories would use what stock they had on hand if it wasn't a major change during production.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts