Antique Tractors Forum banner

Homade Seed Tray Heater(pics)

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
I made one this year and it works. It doesn't seem all that warm, but a little heat does a lot. A 21' string of 100 Christmas lights, section of plywood the width of the seed trays, and 3/4x3/4 to 1x1 strips to build the channels where the lights are fastened is all that is needed.I dammed up the space around the lower edged of the seed trays with rags to hold in the heat. Plants began popping up within a week and we had several very cool nights. There is no heat on my porch unless I open the interior door and the woodstove heats it.

See less See more
#6 ·
We have sown more seeds, basil, dill, and more maters. Hope the bulbs don't burn out :!:

#7 ·
Jim in NC said:
We have sown more seeds, basil, dill, and more maters. Hope the bulbs don't burn out :!:
excellent starting chamber i built one with hot water pipes from boiler but couldnt controle temp so i use ceramic heaters under bench do you start dill for field transpants or for retail sales i cant get dill to field germanate

#8 ·
corn cob said:
[quote="Jim in NC":13ndva13]We have sown more seeds, basil, dill, and more maters. Hope the bulbs don't burn out :!:
excellent starting chamber i built one with hot water pipes from boiler but couldnt controle temp so i use ceramic heaters under bench do you start dill for field transpants or for retail sales i cant get dill to field germanate[/quote:13ndva13]
This is the first time I have tried dill from transplants. Some farmers market customers ask about dill, and I found some seed so I thought I would try it.

#10 ·
We may "experiment" with the dill if it does well, and I hope to sell some. Usually, we use a mix for dill pickles. No tellin' what Mrs. Jim may have up her sleeve.

#11 ·
Jim in NC said:
We may "experiment" with the dill if it does well, and I hope to sell some. Usually, we use a mix for dill pickles. No tellin' what Mrs. Jim may have up her sleeve.
we sell both but there is a good demand for herb type we sell it fresh cut in sandwich bags we we can get it to grow i was thinking of spreding it over flats of 72 plugs and dropping in with transplanter at 3 in spacing when i field plant in use planet jr

#13 ·
I planted some n my porch greenhouse and I am gonna put some in the garden when the ground gets warmer. Dill is something that no one has had at our farmers market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.