Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The honey bees were out in force working in Cecilia, Ky today in a very unseasonable 66 degree afternoon.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Dave,
Great pictures of the bees! Just too cold up here right now. Might hit 50 sometime next week then they would fly. Our 7 hives are snow covered. I like to see them out starting to work in the spring. Just picked up some glass honey jars today at Asbury woods nature center in Erie. I have some golden rod honey warming up for canning over the weekend.
Petra,
Good luck with the bees! Good time to get your wooden ware ready.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
Sugarmaker said:
Petra,
Regards,
Chris
All I have so far is one hive that I just scraped and painted and a honey extractor that needs a good coat of food grade paint. Just starting.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
petra79 said:
Sugarmaker said:
Petra,
Regards,
Chris
All I have so far is one hive that I just scraped and painted and a honey extractor that needs a good coat of food grade paint. Just starting.
Well you need some bees this spring! I like to catch swarms! That puts some excitement and suspense into bee keeping for me. But I have also ordered package bees too. Or you could find someone that sells five frame nuc's.
I have used the food grade paint before on some items so I know what your talking about. I have a small four frame extractor. Still hand cranking to extract our honey.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
Sugarmaker said:
petra79 said:
Sugarmaker said:
Petra,
Regards,
Chris
Well you need some bees this spring! I like to catch swarms! That puts some excitement and suspense into bee keeping for me. But I have also ordered package bees too. Or you could find someone that sells five frame nuc's.
I have used the food grade paint before on some items so I know what your talking about. I have a small four frame extractor. Still hand cranking to extract our honey.
Regards,
Chris
This is also a 4 frame extractor. Where can I find the food grade paint??? As far as the bees I'll probably buy the first round then I also think it would be fun to find a swarm and catch it.
Hive was pretty rough when I got it. Had to make a new base.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
We have a bee tree in the yard, and it is very common to see them out and about on most any warm winter day. We have a Breath of Spring bush that has been blooming since Christmas :!: :eek: :D

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's as early as I've seen them out. Kindda what prompted the photos. Never would have guessed seeing bees in the first week of February. :?
Also, last year they were the last to show up, and were few in the spring, so I was glad to see so many out working early.
I'm hoping they've found a good place for a hive close by, by the way Ron, yours looks ready to go. Good luck with it.

G

·
Don't even remember when we started seeing them here at the new place. Was too busy moving in and such. Will definately be looking for them this spring.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
I walked down to our bee tree after lunch, and the little stingers were working hard, in and out of the tree in rhythmic synchronization. It was about 50 degrees at that time. Maybe because these are Southern Bees??? :eek:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Jim,
Yea 50 degrees is the temp that bees start to fly.
Perta,
The hive and supers looks very good, you cleaned them up good.
Check with Mann Lake on line for the paint.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
Sugarmaker said:
Petra,
The hive and supers looks very good, you cleaned them up good.
Check with Mann Lake on line for the paint.
Regards,
Chris
Thanks. I looked at Mann and they only have paint for the hives and lids. I looked up a couple Sherwin Williams and Glidden dealers local and will check with them this week. I would hope they might be able to help. Thanks for the tip though. I'll save their page for future.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Try Dadant for the paint. Someone has to have it:)
If you can find a stainless version of the extractor get it, then you won't have to worry about that rust issue.
On package bees, I got two packages several years ago. I chose Russian queens and they did real well for several years.
Then CCD (colony collapse disorder) came along and wiped me out.
I have a lot of folks ask if the bees come back. I tell them its just like going to the barn in the morning and finding the cow dead. They don't seem to come back, and if you want to be in the cow business you have to get another one. Some folks think bees come back from the dead I guess:) Nope their just as dead as the cow!
Regards,
Chris

G

·
Heard a lil on the CCD yesterday. As far as the extractor, it was free..........................Somepoint downt he road I may get a SS one but for now a quart of paint may be the best route to go. I will look at Dadant and again, thank for the info.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
petra,
No problem, I really enjoy the honey from our hives. I think I may have gained some weight from having our fresh honey. I eat about 1/2 lb each week in my tea.:)
I heated goldenrod honey over night with a bucket heater. Today it was warm enough to filter and I filled 24, 1 lb glass jars.
Those will be ready for sale when I get the labels on them. We sell a bunch of honey during our open house weekend for maple syrup in mid March. Also have another 5 gallons of goldenrod heating now. That bucket is almost solid crystals so it will take a day or so to warm up for canning.
Good luck with the bees this year.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
We've been buying Goldenrod from a somewhat local couple for about 6 years now. They were more local before we moved last year. They've taught us alot. We still plan on attending classes this spring. A quart will last us about 3-4 weeks. Once we start doing our own, we'll start using more in cooking.
Dadant does not have paint. I did order their catalog though.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Can hardley wait to get some of that good honey.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts