Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for any help. This was sitting on an old wagon I found. It looks kind of like a cultivator, but is, obviously, on some type of runners. (We put the plumbers tape). Any ideas?

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
It's a nice piece. It could be a lot of things. What comes to my mind is put a spade on either side on the square bar and it's an adjustable double layoff plow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure someone didn't just make themselves a sled?

Seems like a lot of work for a toy, but it looks like it would work for one. Thank you, by the way BigDaveinKY.

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Adding to what Dave said I see the possibility that it can be used.to lay off a ridged row.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for any help. This was sitting on an old wagon I found. It looks kind of like a cultivator, but is, obviously, on some type of runners. (We put the plumbers tape). Any ideas?

View attachment 23043
Strange looking instrument, I have no idea what it was used for but the curved pipe/bar sticking up out front looks the be adjustable. The lever laying against the pipe near the end looks to have a missing linkage to the dog that holds it in adjustment. It looks to be all the way forward now and would swing back to point near straight up if adjusted to the opposite extreme. Good find though.

·
Administrator
4,696 Posts
I'm not sure someone didn't just make themselves a sled?......
I thought that till I got a closer look at it. The way things are made to move with the lever changed my mind.
It may have been built by the farmer who used it, but it was likely made to do some type of work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mcrafty1, yeah the seat moves with that lever and the square bars at the back rotate. It would put whatever was attached deeper in the ground when the lever was pulled back.
Undoubtedly made by the hands of a skilled blacksmith of the day, Too many moving parts that work in unison to be thrown together in a whim. Probably no one left alive that can tell us for sure....it's old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts