Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
db990/A 1971 Selectamatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 990 Selectamatic db and had to change the power steering reservoir and seem to have introduced air in the system. How do I bleed it.
I'm assuming it's air because of a high pitched scream that sounds like a dry bearing. There is also bubbles and foam in the oil.
I filled the reservoir and locked the steering far right and far left expecting to push the fluid through.
The power steering is working fine but screaming.
I would appreciate any suggestions on bleeding the system.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
I bleed my Long tractors by jacking up the front axle where both front wheels float, run the engine a little above idle, and turn the steering wheel back and forth to its limits. I check fluid periodically to see if I need to add any.

·
Registered
db990/A 1971 Selectamatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bleed my Long tractors by jacking up the front axle where both front wheels float, run the engine a little above idle, and turn the steering wheel back and forth to its limits. I check fluid periodically to see if I need to add any.
Thanks for the suggestion, in fact that is what I ended up doing.
I got the screaming stopped but as it turns out it wasn’t from the PS.
I just happened to idle down the throttle a bit and it stopped.The idle wasn’t high it was about mid throttle but I can make the screaming start by increasing the idle.
So I got my work done but have to figure this out. I can’t tell exactly what’s screaming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts