Antique Tractors Forum banner

How to attach sickle to John Deere B?

23K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  JDBForMe 
#1 ·
I have a 1948 john deere B with what looks like most of the components of a 2pt hitch. I am trying to attach a no.5 sickle but I don't know if I have everything and I am unsure where the parts go. If someone has a tutorial or some pictures of the attachment attached please share.

I have about 5 no.5 and 2 no.8 sickle mowers with spare sections and a few boxes of new cutters. I would just pair them together but the tractor and sickles are far apart

here are pictures of the rear of the 48'

See less See more
#3 ·
I have an A John Deere, and a few years ago i bought a #5 mower, and restored it. I had it on my A once and used it just to test it out. My connection point isn't correct for A's or B's but it was what the guy used to connect it to his B it was attached to when i bought it.

It isn't supposed to lean like it is in the last picture. I discovered one of the clamps on the mower that attach to the pins are bent pretty bad. Also i didn't have the lift cylinder hooked up, i was just moving it. This will be a fix for another day. There is also an instruction manual link for attaching the #5 to other JD models and other brands of tractors, with detailed pictures if i can still find it i'll post it!

#9 ·
Well after looking at some of the #5 sickle mowers at the farm, some have the quik-tatch and some don't.

on all of the mowers I cannot lift the sickle arm to the vertical position like you have it. is there a specific way of lifting it or something needs to be configured for it to be lifted?

#11 ·
emcasull454 said:
Didn't think i still had this link saved but I still have it, i can e-mail it to you possibly? It will show you all you need to know!
A little time has passed emcasull454 and I hope you are around to see this.

I just joined here and if you can email me the link as well I'd appreciate it

mail to merritt dot derr at gmail dot com

i have a 1944 Model B styled hand start and have just been given a #8 mower with quick-tatch and need to find/make the brackets for the tractor. Mostly looking for some specific dimensions, but I'll take whatever is in the link.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.