Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My property came with this old disc, but I can't figure out how to hook up to it. Doesn't seem to be for use on a 3 point pto? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
20210429_180235.jpg
20210429_180223.jpg
20210429_180243.jpg
20210429_180240.jpg
20210429_180208.jpg

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
You would need a hammer strap on your tractors drawbar. That is how it is designed to be pulled.
A clevis just small enough to fit through the hole on the equipment tongue will work as well.

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
No, the other is where it should be. What you have is called an offset or bogg disc.
It's meant to cut ground fast and takes a good sized tractor to operate. Likely 50 h.p. or better from the looks of it.
Pulling it adjusted straight (like it is) maybe not as much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it looks pretty heavy. My tractor is rated at 30hp, so probably wouldn't pull it.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
The discs appear to be straight which is for moving from place to place when not cutting the ground. The notched lever is the adjustment to put the disc in gear, or set the desired angle of the discs. If the chain reaches near the back of the seat, you can use it to adjust the disc angle from the seat. Putting the tractor in reverse takes the disc out of gear. I'd like to see a pic of the tongue with it out of the dirt. Part of it may be buried, and it may need only a pin to hook to the drawbar. The hole in the hitch is not worn much which tells me it has not been used much or hard. It probably has grease fittings as well on the disc axles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim. It sounded to me like the previous owner never used it and it sat where it is for nearly 20 years. I'd like to use it. I'll upload a close up of the tongue when I get back in town next week. Dave mentioned it might take a 50 hp tractor to pull it. I've got a 30hp kubota L3010. Do you think I should stay away from it with my current tractor?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
If it has sat in the same spot for 20 years it's possible the disc parts below ground level are rusted badly or even gone. Will your tractor pull it? Maybe if the disc is not in gear or at a minimum cutting angle. Your tractor is light in weight which contributes to its inability to handle the disc. I have used trailer discs to scratch or rough up pasture ground for re-seeding by cutting grooves in the ground when the soil is pretty wet, broadcasting seed, then hoping for a good rain to "plant" the seed. That works in the early spring in our red clay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts