Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She looks more threatening to me as she has begun taking a more westward tract. I do not wish a hurricane's fury on anyone. We are under a state of emergency which for now relaxes regulations regarding what and how supplies can be transported to prepare for the storm. Farmers have been urged to harvest as much of their crops as possible. There is still lots of tobacco in the fields. As one who lost over $10,000 in tobacco from Hurricane Fran, also an "F" storm, many years ago, I know what can happen. People are filling gas cans, and I gotta do the same in case the generator is needed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/08/tropical-storm-florence-approach-prompts-state-emergency-declaration-in-north-carolina.html

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I know it takes a bit to recover from that kind of loss Jim. Fortunately for you it was years ago when we (guys OUR age) were in the physical condition to rebound a bit better....working a little longer and harder for the next few years.

A couple years ago we got evacuated from Hilton Head by Harvey...or it might have been Mathew. The condo we were in (right on the beach) had something like eight feet of water in it two days or so after we left. I think it was downgraded to a tropical storm about the time we left. But I'm not complaining because there was no real 'loss' involved like you own. Mine was a only the typical 'first-world' problem. lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
I remember catching the edge of one, when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in 1969. Quite an experience. Be safe Jim.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
Let's hope it pulls a "Floyd" and becomes more preparation than clean up.
It's a long story, and a several years ago, but my Bride still hates Floyd.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Floyd was very destructive from its rainfall and flooding. Our major river basins in eastern NC flooded, and US taxpayers bought lots of homes, businesses, and rebuilt others. Princeville was rebuilt and was mostly destroyed again by Matthew. This morning's prediction has the Wilmington, Fort Fisher, and Cape Fear area as the bullseye. We also got 2.5 inches of rain from thunderstorms last night. Much of the state had a good amount of rain a few days before Floyd hit. The already wet ground added to the severity of flooding caused by Floyd.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This evening's Hurricane Florence updates: The evacuation of the University of NC at Wilmington has been ordered. Also some predictions indicate that Florence will slow or stall when it moves inland. Remember Harvey from last year?

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
Floyd was very destructive from its rainfall and flooding. Our major river basins in eastern NC flooded, and US taxpayers bought lots of homes, businesses, and rebuilt others. Princeville was rebuilt and was mostly destroyed again by Matthew. This morning's prediction has the Wilmington, Fort Fisher, and Cape Fear area as the bullseye. We also got 2.5 inches of rain from thunderstorms last night. Much of the state had a good amount of rain a few days before Floyd hit. The already wet ground added to the severity of flooding caused by Floyd.
Then I've got names confused. It has been over 30 years ago, and I haven't thought about it in almost that long.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, Floyd stayed to the east of us and veered back along the coast. The center of Fran came within 30-40 miles of us. We have had a stationary front in the NC-Va area for several days. It dropped to the south of us on Saturday and will crawl back to our north today. That is what is gonna slow Florence as it approaches.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Late yesterday and early morning predictions have Florence coming ashore near the Wrightsville Beach-Wilmington area and slowly turning west and traveling across South Carolina. Extended predictions have it turning north towards KY and WV. A storm surge of 9 to 13 feet is predicted, and will be higher if the storm moves in at high tide. Rainfall estimates are currently 4-6 inches for us with 30 to 50 mph winds.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
you guys stay safe!

Reactions: Jim in NC

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Florence has weakened to a Cat 2 storm. The massive amounts of rain, estimates of 20-40 inches, its storm surge, pounding winds, and slow movement will combine will beat areas of NC and SC into submission.. That region is largely marsh and swampland so any flooding will be slow to recede.
https://apnews.com/58781157df70417ca4168b48bdc9e3c2

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Jim I not remembering how far inland Colfax County is from the ocean.... refresh my memory. I don't remember any bad weather at all for the 14 months I was stationed at Parris Island SC. That was '74/'75.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wendell, Colfax is a community located in Guilford County. We are located in the north, central part of NC between Wiinston-Salem and Greensboro. We are just a little over 200 road miles from where Florence is coming ashore. Even though Florence has weakened to a Category 1 storm, it is wreaking havoc down east. The storm surge is proving to be much more than predicted because of the storm's slow movement. Water has been pushed to New Bern, nearly 40 miles inland, and up the Neuse River to Kinston about 70 miles inland in addition to the sound and inlets nearer to the storm.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NC rivers will reach their highest levels by the middle of next week. Water keeps backing inland because of the continuing southeast winds producing a storm surge. Inland waterways cannot drain with these conditions. As flood waters rise, more people are being rescued. The storm has picked up a little forward speed overnight, from 2-4 mph to 8 mph now. Over a 36 hour period it moved about 125 miles. Things should improve for NC by tomorrow afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Florence left us very soggy and with minor damage. Scattered trees were down. A few that fell on homes or buildings were the most destructive incidents. Rainfall varied from 6.5 to 7" in the neighborhood. Area tobacco is drowning more, but leaf loss to the wind was not bad. We had one tree down across two fence sections. I cut the wires and made a tempory fix. Hopefully the cows will take some of the leaves off, and I will remove it when cooler weather arrives.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
I'm glad to hear you only had minor damage!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Looks like you weathered the storm with very good luck. Heavy rainsoaked soil and high winds take a toll on big trees...expecially if they've a lean to them to begin with. A start on next winters firewood Jim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts