Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have oil streaming out of the center hole (Cotter Key) of the access panel in the bottom of the tractor right between the engine and transmission. This only happens when the tractor is running. I have not been able to find which fluid is getting low yet. I changed all the fluids and brought them up to level.

I would appreciate some help in diagnosing the problem. I don't want to have to split the tractor.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Either your rear main seal is leaking or the input shaft to the transmission. Either one requires the tractor to be split

·
Registered
530 Posts
As Willy said.
Put a little of the fluid on your finger and smell. Engine oil will smell different than hydraulic tranny fluid. Engine oil, rear main seal. Hydraulic fluid input shaft seal. Don't want to split it, Buy a lot of heavy weight fluid and park with a pan underneath.

·
Registered
202 Posts
With a 601 having three separate compartments it's possible it has SAE 80-90 in the trans and diff and only have hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system, my 801 still has 80-90 in the diff.
Smell test will give one a good idea on whats leaking, engine oil, 80-90 and hydraulic oil all have different smells.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Should I monitor the oil levels in the engine and transmission? Should whichever one gets low indicates the source of the leak, engine main seal or the transmission input shaft. I assume that closing up the drain hole (cotter key) would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you did, eventually you would ruin your clutch got oil on it. After that you would start throwing oil into the starter.
The engine holds a gallon and a half of oil and the transmission is 5 quarts? Not certain on those numbers as I no longer have my Ford books.

If you were local to me in Maine we could do it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have oil streaming out of the center hole (Cotter Key) of the access panel in the bottom of the tractor right between the engine and transmission. This only happens when the tractor is running. I have not been able to find which fluid is getting low yet. I changed all the fluids and brought them up to level.

I would appreciate some help in diagnosing the problem. I don't want to have to split the tractor.
My Ford 600 just started leaking in the same location. I think in is leaking transmission or hydraulic fluid. Did you find out what was leaking on your tractor? Did you fix it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts