Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I was running the 640 with the blade and the cultivator. When I was changing implements, I noticed that the lift arms did not go to the down position without me putting my weight on them. I am 94% certain that they used to go to the down position when the touch control lever was moved to the down position, whether or not there was weight on them.
I checked the hydraulic fluid - milky; likely from the year it spent out in the weather.
So, I changed the hydraulic fluid, cycled the arms up and down (with weight) a few times, and did not see any improvement.
Am I remembering the operation correctly, and, if so, any thoughts on the cause of the arms not moving down without weight?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last week, I was running the 640 with the blade and the cultivator. When I was changing implements, I noticed that the lift arms did not go to the down position without me putting my weight on them. I am 94% certain that they used to go to the down position when the touch control lever was moved to the down position, whether or not there was weight on them.
I checked the hydraulic fluid - milky; likely from the year it spent out in the weather.
So, I changed the hydraulic fluid, cycled the arms up and down (with weight) a few times, and did not see any improvement.
Am I remembering the operation correctly, and, if so, any thoughts on the cause of the arms not moving down without weight?
Try lubricating all of the movement points. Once the tractor is off and you lower the touch control you are just dumping the piston fluid back to the sump and gravity takes over. Having sat out there may be some corrosion at the lift arm joints.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts