Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
churn or a cream separator. What say yall? It lived on a local small dairy farm that ceased to milk cows probably in the 1950s or 1960s. I knew 2 of the children that grew up on the farm, and their mother. The father passed rather young, and one son left the Army to come home to run the farm afterwards. The son farmed with the 1942 Farmall H that now lives here and bought new with steel wheels. Recently the steel wheels found a nearby home, and will be preserved.
I helped the son, Frank, with his tobacco and hay crops in the 1960s. Frank was a faithful church member and head of a local boy scout troop. Frank also did a lot of custom work for neighbors, mostly combining and haymaking. When Frank retired from his school custodial job he helped us and another much younger neighbor with our tobacco crops. He always loved the farm life. Frank passed about 20 to 25 years ago.
His sister, the other child I knew the best, passed last fall. She married late in life and took her possessions to her new home, as well as some of Frank's tools. The nieces and nephew asked us if I would like to have some of his tools that none of them wanted to keep. Miss Joanne and i both value local history, and naturally we said yes.
When cleaning out some storage buildings we found the churn or separator. A niece is going to keep it. Its home for decades was the milk house, or a small building, maybe 12x12, behind the farmhouse. At some point the building was torn down and the "barrel" was saved. I have seen many old farm tools and devices but never anything like this. Similar items show up on the net, but i have found nothing like this.
My hope is that someone here may have seen one of these before. There is a well windless and pulley from the old farm well on top of the "barrel".

·
Super Moderator
1,592 Posts
churn or a cream separator. What say yall? It lived on a local small dairy farm that ceased to milk cows probably in the 1950s or 1960s. I knew 2 of the children that grew up on the farm, and their mother. The father passed rather young, and one son left the Army to come home to run the farm afterwards. The son farmed with the 1942 Farmall H that now lives here and bought new with steel wheels. Recently the steel wheels found a nearby home, and will be preserved.
I helped the son, Frank, with his tobacco and hay crops in the 1960s. Frank was a faithful church member and head of a local boy scout troop. Frank also did a lot of custom work for neighbors, mostly combining and haymaking. When Frank retired from his school custodial job he helped us and another much younger neighbor with our tobacco crops. He always loved the farm life. Frank passed about 20 to 25 years ago.
His sister, the other child I knew the best, passed last fall. She married late in life and took her possessions to her new home, as well as some of Frank's tools. The nieces and nephew asked us if I would like to have some of his tools that none of them wanted to keep. Miss Joanne and i both value local history, and naturally we said yes.
When cleaning out some storage buildings we found the churn or separator. A niece is going to keep it. Its home for decades was the milk house, or a small building, maybe 12x12, behind the farmhouse. At some point the building was torn down and the "barrel" was saved. I have seen many old farm tools and devices but never anything like this. Similar items show up on the net, but i have found nothing like this.
My hope is that someone here may have seen one of these before. There is a well windless and pulley from the old farm well on top of the "barrel".

View attachment 21684 View attachment 21685
It is a Churn, makes butter out of the cream.

·
Super Moderator
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Churn, makes butter out of the cream.
A big thanks to you. Somewhere there is a tool to work the dasher I figure. It may be on top of the barrel under the windless. Both my grandmothers had churns, but much smaller with the wooden dasher handle through the top.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thats a really neat looking piece. Glad they are preserving it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts