Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to recent events! Mainly my employer closing its doors! I have been kicking around an idea(while not being able to find anything to work at) of maybe offering starter and alternator/generator repair for antique tractors and equipment. I have done alot of searching on the internet, and i just don't see alot of services like this here in the east. Some folks like me perform and like to do my own repairs(if possible) on such things, but perhaps some folks just don't have the tools or knowledge to do so. My question to everyone is: Do ya'll think there would be any market for these services at all?

I want any comments any of you choose. Even if you think its a dumb idea!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I can only relate that there is a man in a small local town who does this and he stays so busy!!He does alt,gennys and starters. Most people around here use him rather than buying new china junk!!!Guess if you have good suppliers and can turn it ata reasonable price is the key.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stephenscity said:
I can only relate that there is a man in a small local town who does this and he stays so busy!!He does alt,gennys and starters. Most people around here use him rather than buying new china junk!!!Guess if you have good suppliers and can turn it ata reasonable price is the key.
Good point on the china made stuff! This kind of service just doesn't exist anywhere around here that i know of! I have my doubts that there would be a huge demand for it here. I just don't know!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
There is a need for this type of work!Some of us just don't have the knowledge or equipment to check and repair electrical starters and generators. I use a shop in Erie for this type of work. They are very good and reasonable too.
Try it! Good luck!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Go for it you will be busy busy I know of 1 place around here in 75 mile radis and he is allways busy.When he first started he had a route where he would pick up this stuff repair it take it back the next week ..he did that just 1 day a week..

·
Registered
658 Posts
JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:
There is always a need for that!! You any good with magnetos or building wireing harnesses??? Im haveing a heck of a time finding somebody good anymore :evil:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bertman said:
JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:
There is always a need for that!! You any good with magnetos or building wireing harnesses??? Im haveing a heck of a time finding somebody good anymore :evil:
Bertman i honestly haven't fooled much with a magneto. I have one from a farmall A laying in my shop right now it doesn't work, and i fooled around with it some, very carefully i might add. I know these things can make you pee your pants and forget who you are. It will impulse but no spark. I am guessing it would be an easy fix. i have built my own wiring harnesses on the 3 tractor's i have built. Mine are a little more complicated due to fact all of mine are converted to 12 volt. I still go fo the original look however! So far no one at any of the shows have noticed the Farmall Super C i done has electric gauges in the dash! You gotta look real close to notice this.

Sorry got off the topic a little!

G

·
We have two local small shops about an hour away from each other. As Mike said, they are burried in work. One guy has his 2 1/2 car garage completely filled as his shop. I'd say go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
We have no place like that where we are at in the thumb so i have to take everything down to the city and they are always buried with work. Its well worth the chance for you to take, just my opinion :D

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Local shop that does this has a 2 week wait before he can get to yours. Once you get the business going you may find yourself buried in work. Try and learn the magneto's Not a lot of people work on them anymore.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
4imnotright said:
Local shop that does this has a 2 week wait before he can get to yours. Once you get the business going you may find yourself buried in work. Try and learn the magneto's Not a lot of people work on them anymore.
Great idea about the magneto's!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kindof done an experiment today on the H4 magneto i have. I have no real reason to make it work, but i figured with winter on, and nothing better to do i decided to tear it down and see if i could fix it! It didn't take long to figure the trouble! The wire between the points and condensor is broken! Coil checks good with a multi-meter, and the condensor is ok. Magnet is still strong! I'm betting fix this broken wire and dress the points, and this thing will work! These things are actually not that complicated! Biggest problem i could see repairing these is if the magnet was weak! It wouldn't be that hard to remagnetize these!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts