Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grandfather died and i have his old tractor it hasent ran in a very long time and i have fixed a ton of stuff but i dont know how to bleed all the filters and bosch injector pump can anyone help

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Start at the injection pump,make sure the fuel is getting from the tank to the injection pump, back off the nuts on the top of the injection pump that hold the injector lines, make sure the fuel is coming out of the backed off nuts as you can crank it over.
At the other end of your injection pipes, which are connected to your injectors, back off thse nuts as well, and cranking the motor over make sure all the air is out of those lines before tightening the nuts.
The filters are self explanatory, undo the bleed nut on the top of the filter housing and get all the air bubbles out. That is usually done with the weight of the fuel that is in the tank. ie'. gravity. Just remember a diesel will not run if it has the slighest amount of air in the fuel system.
It sounds more complicated than it is,it really its basic,
Keep your fuel exceptionally clean, I can't emphasise that point enough.
That should get the Massey running if the motor is in good condition, ie: good compression, that's what a diesel depends on, ie: 16/1 as compared to a petrol motor of 6/1.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Some things I have learned bleeding diesel fuel systems. If needed install new fuel filters before you begin. Check the lift pump if you have one. It can have a fuel strainer that can collect trash so it needs to be cleaned. As stated loosen the connections and pump fuel through the system, a lift pump that has a manual pumping lever is your friend. Use it to save your battery as much as possible. Lots of cranking can weaken it quickly. Finally if you have a fuel shutoff valve between the tank and lift pump, make sure it is on. That will help too. Trying to bleed a system is very difficult with it closed. I know from experience.

Reactions: scottmckenney

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some things I have learned bleeding diesel fuel systems. If needed install new fuel filters before you begin. Check the lift pump if you h
my grandfather died and i have his old tractor it hasent ran in a very long time and i have fixed a ton of stuff but i dont know how to bleed all the filters and bosch injector pump can anyone help
Start at the injection pump,make sure the fuel is getting from the tank to the injection pump, back off the nuts on the top of the injection pump that hold the injector lines, make sure the fuel is coming out of the backed off nuts as you can crank it over.
At the other end of your injection pipes, which are connected to your injectors, back off thse nuts as well, and cranking the motor over make sure all the air is out of those lines before tightening the nuts.
The filters are self explanatory, undo the bleed nut on the top of the filter housing and get all the air bubbles out. That is usually done with the weight of the fuel that is in the tank. ie'. gravity. Just remember a diesel will not run if it has the slighest amount of air in the fuel system.
It sounds more complicated than it is,it really its basic,
Keep your fuel exceptionally clean, I can't emphasise that point enough.
That should get the Massey running if the motor is in good condition, ie: good compression, that's what a diesel depends on, ie: 16/1 as compared to a petrol motor of 6/1.
Cheers.
thanks found the problem my fuel shut off was stuck whitch saved me because there was a rust mud substense in the bottom of the fuel filter. i have removed all fuel lines and scraped and sanded the primary fuel bowl and panted it i have all new filters that my grandpa kept on hand. thank god the secondary filter was quite clean. now i just have to take what looks like a small storage tank off to make sher its clean. i cant wate to get it going its bin sitting for 23 years what stared with fixing and bilding 2 battery box to fixing the starder switch to the ignition switch which had rust in the contacts a few wiers and then a sezed block thank god wasent that bad. my grandpa would be happy i rememberd all the years of his teaching. he ran his one man shop till he passed in 2008 god rest his sole and thanks for the help

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
You have a very rare tractor. It's my understanding there were less than 200 model 33s fitted with a diesel engine.
Keep us updated on your progress if you get a chance. We'd like to know how it turns out.

Reactions: scottmckenney

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a very rare tractor. It's my understanding there were less than 200 model 33s fitted with a diesel engine.
Keep us updated on your progress if you get a chance. We'd like to know how it turns out.
your guna love this there was a barn fire and burnt two 33 tractors the front and back grandpa bought them for scrap and rebilt the motor and put the two halfs together ill see if i can find the news paper clipping whatever a news paper is omg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts