Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '65 504 and am trying to find a tach guage like the original. Can find some at online parts suppliers that they say are for the 504 but they are slightly different that the one in the 504 I bought. Mine goes up to 3000 rpm on the guage but I haven't seen one like that anywhere. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Can you post a photo of the tach? The one on your tractor could have been changed.
IH had some tachs that were all black face with just rpm marks and a mark for "pto", and "max pto".
They were for later models than the 504, but they went to 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_20161208_093711332[1].jpg Photo of the tach is attached. It looks like original equipment. Has F 504 printed on the back along with the part number. Part number is 388089R91 which sounds like an original part. If I can't find a working replacement, do you know of a place that rebuilds these, if possible.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Reactions: stevej

·
Registered
757 Posts
Oh and they have a magnificent catalog they will gladly mail you for free at Steiner Tractor. They cover many makes and is a wonderful bathroom reader.

Reactions: stevej

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I checked Steiner's website and catalog and the only tach for the 504 they have listed is the one that only reads up to 2400 rpms not 3000 as mine does. As you suggest, I will check the tach cable and also the drive gear assembly. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks again and stay warm.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
As far as I know, there is only one replacement manufactured that everybody sells.
There are places who repair and restore old tachometers if you don't mind sending it off.
Do a google search for Tachometer repair and restoration. I did know a few places but have forgotten.
At one time there wasn't a replacement for my A/C--D15, and I was thinking of sending it to be repaired.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think your governor may limit you from actually achieving 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a note. The tach that was in my 504 has the PTO 540 mark at 2100 rpm whereas the one commonly sold on the open market for the 504 has the PTO 540 mark at 1750 rpm. Quite a difference. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might as well continue this post and not leave everyone in suspense. On further checking, the actual part number printed on the tach is 383089R91 not 388089R91 (Numbers were kind of faint). The number on the tach is the original part number for carbureted 504's listed in the copy of the original Parts Manual which I ordered from Steiner's. I sent the tach off to Williamson's Instruments, Inc. in Chester, Arkansas and had it rebuilt. They did a good job.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Steiner has been a good source of tractor parts for myself and a couple of neighbors. They also have made some repair videos available for folks bitten by the old tractor bug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts