Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Miss Joanne, the squirrels, and birds should have plenty of blueberries soon. Her kitchen garden has been recovering after May freezing weather and torrents of rain. Onions that I once figured would float away hung on and will be fine. The kitchen garden has also produced buckets of grass and weeds. The cows got to dispose of that. Early tomato blight is showing itself. It laughs at every treatment I have tried over the years. Usually by the end of July these are done.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Everything looks like it's growing good now Jim.
We finally got a good drink of water on the garden after 17 days of dry.
Green bean plants grew 3" yesterday from when I looked in the morning and again just before dark.
For the first time in five years my mater plants still have dark green leaves all the way to the ground.
By this time in the past four years they had yellowed and fallen off because of the extra wet Spring weather we had.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave my plants have the blight. I have sprayed twice I believe, and we pulled the bottom leaves to slow it. The German Johnson and Oxheart maters show more yellowing and lesions each day. We have been very wet which has limited.spray treatments. All we can do is try to slow it a bit. Another wet spell begins today.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I hate getting the blight in my tomato plants.
I had to let a patch of ground rest, because I couldn't control it anymore.
Hoping to plant them there in another couple years.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is nothing I can do to stop the blight. I can only try to slow it. An extension agent told me a few years ago that if a neighbor nearby had a few mater plants and did nothing, blight would spread by the wind. I have seen more small gardens around this year than in the past. I believe the stay at home orders have contributed to that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, I believe that too. I have never saw local places around here sell completely out of garden seed before the middle of June, when they put them on sale to get rid of the inventory. But here, this year, most places had sold out of their seed, and most plants and slips before the first week in May. There was people here, that put out gardens, that had never put them out, and some older people that had not put out a garden in 20 years, that was all of a sudden putting one in the back yard. People buying up all the hoes, rakes and tillers. Buying up all the deep freezes as well. Canning supplies will be hard to find this year too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts