Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this 49 B today http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/3280528662.html

My questions are. Is the price a little high? And would filling the base and transmission with coca cola break it free without damaging the internal parts? I heard coke was a good rust breaker. Is this worth the money or should I offer less? I live 10 minutes away from this tractor

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
we paid a grand for the extact same tractor a few years ago. motor turned but needed overhaulin and the shifter didnt work. at the time i thought it was a lil high priced but now i wish i would've left it there for a better one to come along. since its got the 3 piont that gives it a lil more worth. if it was me id offer $1000 and not a penny more. just to give ya an idea on cost to repair, the machine work on the block and head and new pistons w rings and pins run me a round $1100 and the new shifter parts came from a $500 doner tractor

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be worth trying to get free and see if it runs like that?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My brother worked a few months this summer getting items from a property that he rents (farm ground) out of the buildings that are falling in on the equipment parked there over 35 years ago when (land ladies) husband last farmed the place.
Of the items there were a 1939 Farmall M & a 1947 Oliver 70 (both were stuck), the M broke free after the ATF/PB blaster Diesel fuel combo treatment in a few weeks. He done the same treatment with the Oliver but had no success breaking it lose with a wheel jacked up & tranny in high gear which worked on the M. The M ran the 4 miles to the consignment auction site pulling a MH pull type combine which also was sold on that sale. The M (running) brought $975.oo, The Oliver brought $500.oo (stuck) & one of our club members out bid the salvage yard guy to keep it from being junked.
The next day after the sale the club member said to me "tell your brother I broke the Ollie loose), to which I said how could you do that so soon, he said I just removed the starter & put a pry bar into the ring gear teeth & just one yank it was loose. He will have it in the clubs next tractor pull the 22nd of this month so I'll get a chance to see it work/run/pull again.
Long story short - remove starter & use a pry bar in ring gear teeth to break loose. Hope this works for you too.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Actually? I have heard to take something rusty and put it in water. Sounds kooky I know. A fellow by the name of Lavoy whom runs a tractor restoration service swears by it. I can not give you more details as this board prohibits listing of other forums.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My story is similar to others. I purchased a non running 1948 Model B because the engine was loose for $500.00 and a 1951 B for parts for $500.00. The 51 was stuck but I got it freed up but found the oil sump had so much stuff in it that the shaft to the camshaft broke when we tried to force the crank using the teeth on the flywheel. Thank goodness I have spare parts.

My 2 cents worth is that they are asking way too much for the tractor. If you do get it (for less$s) make sure the oil pump, filter & lines are clear of junk before you start forcing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts