Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’ve finally reassemble the CAV DPA injection pump. The head and rotor daft was sheared. Anyway, I’ve received the new part and the pump has been reassembled.
Problem: when I removed the pump I confirmed the timing from the inspection port on the side of the pump and it read “F”!
However when I went to install the pump, and I lined up the peg and the bolt holes the timing mark was on “G”!
what should I do? Oh, the engine has not been touched since I removed the pump...

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Having removed a pump and sent tor repair and then replacing it I do know they must be timed together. My tractor was not a Massey, but I believe I removed it with #1 cylinder at top center and the repaired pump was timed at the same position. It seems to me that you must re-time the pump.to the engine or re-time the tractor. I believe my tractor had a TDC timing mark on it. Been many years ago though.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
I suggest searching the net regarding its engine timing as well as pump replacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I find the proper timing sequence would you have any idea how to set the timing? I know that the Perkins 3 cylinder in set at or near 18 to 20 degrees before top dead center. What I’m fuzzy on is how to time the injection pump with the engine.

Any ideas or recommendations.......

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
If I find the proper timing sequence would you have any idea how to set the timing? I know that the Perkins 3 cylinder in set at or near 18 to 20 degrees before top dead center. What I’m fuzzy on is how to time the injection pump with the engine.

Any ideas or recommendations.......
I think this link will help you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I understand most of what the gentleman was saying. But, with that said, I’m not sure I up to this task. It’s a little over my head.
I thought that if I removed the pump and didn’t turn the engine at all I would be able to rebuild the pump and re-install it and things would be good to go.
However, I’m not able to get the same timing mark on the pump because the pump shaft is keyed and only goes in one way. I even removed the pump again, disassembled it again and tried everything I could to get the same timing mark as when I removed it originally. Without being able to!
I think I’ll have a beer and think about it!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello my friends here’s the latest report on removal, rebuild and installation of the CAV DPA injection pump on the Massey Ferguson 135 with a three cylinder Perkins diesel.

A really good source is Bundy Bear Shed on YouTube. He shows you exactly how to remove and rebuild the injection pump. Thank god for YouTube! 🤣 but I digress, when you remove the pump take careful note of the timing marks on the outside corner of the flange where the pump is bolted down and whatever you do, DON’T turn The engine over. The timing marks must stay where they are during the process!!!

Don’t worry about anything else. Once the pump has been rebuilt, re-install it and hook everything back up. She’ll run!!!!!

Good luck.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts