Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

New system, but NOT for myself... These are a pair of 75 ton Trane rooftop units we are replacing, new ones must be online by Monday as this is a local medical office building. So speak about being under the gun.... Talk about the perfect weather too !!! It was 108 on the roof today, get to do it again tomorrow too, because we only got one running. Wiring will be done by 10:00 tomorrow, should have the second one up by noon or two.

I shut them down at 5 p.m. last night (Friday) and recovered the refrigerant. Approximately 275 lbs of r-22. Got off the roof and home by 9:30.

These have hot water reheat coils so Tuesday evening I had to shut down the boilers and cut 2" copper isolation valves in to each water circuit and prep the units by disconnecting anything not associated with the cooling side. Had to leave cooling on until Friday at 5. Made it home Tuesday night at 11:30 pm. The original units are 33' long and 10' wide, the new ones are 37' and long due to higher efficiency condensor coils.

We use these guys a lot for rooftop changeouts... this is a 250 ton crane with 223' of boom and a 65' swing jib. To reach our units, 4 stories up and approximately 150' in we will need two truckloads of counterweights. Takes 4 guys about 1 1/2 hour to be ready for the first lift. The units we are replacing weigh in at 12,500 pounds, and we have to have all personnel evacuated under the areas we swing over.

BigDave, I'm sure you'd appreciate this control panel....Not as sophisticated as your elevators I'm sure, but just as fun to work on !!!! :D :D
The new units going in are gonna have variable frequency drives on all the motors. Motors are 40 hp on the supply fan. 20 hp on the relief fans.

Second unit coming off. Had my hands full and couldn't take too many shots. When we break these things loose from the curbs, it gets a bit hairy because of boom deflection, wind and a list of other things and there is always roof ventilators, antennas, duct or other units in close proximity and you don't wanna smash into them or squish one of the guys helping up against something.....

If the name of this forum is "off Topic", does this qualify as "Off Topic" enough ??? I noticed everyone was posting about the heat, so I thought I'd share my weekend with you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Wow, be safe there Wendell. Let some of the other guys help you lift them off :cool:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Now that is something that I have never thought about. Amazing the work it takes to put them things up there. Great job!

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Like the others said Wendell, drink lots and be safe. That big yeller rig could pull a few wells, too :!: What you think :?: :lol:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
petra79 said:
Wow, be safe there Wendell. Let some of the other guys help you lift them off :cool:
Oh yeah, Ron, I didn't mean to suggest I was by myself... I have two tinners, two electricians and another pipefitter serviceman like myself on the job. There is a ton of prep work before the juice goes on, then a lot more to thoroughly test and check all the functions.

It's just another fun day in the neighborhood Jamie, been doing this for almost 38 years now.

I guess this rig could pull a 288' well in only one try... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sure makes my little well rig look like a toy doesn't it !!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
Don't think you suggested that. Just addin a lil humor to that tough job ya got going. Good luck with it!!!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Very impressive! Just be very careful, that's a lot of weight, and a lot of heat - but I know I don't have to tell you this. Our units at work are all rooftop - and we've been having a horrible time maintaining proper refrigeration in our meat and produce coolers in the peak heat hours - on more than one occasion we've had to run our coolers to a trailer that save a lot leaves us to load on to the truck with the reefer unit still running. It works, but it's a headache. They are talking about installing a cooling system for the equipment on the roof itself, I'm curious to say the least. Best of luck in getting everything wrapped up!

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Never any fun working on the rooftops this time of year. Sounds like you got a good crew to get it done.
You're in good shape to finish if you got one on line yesterday. Hope you got plenty of coolers full of Gatorade. ;)
That shot of the controller, and equipment flying, sure makes me miss what I did for so many years. :(

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigDaveinKY said:
Never any fun working on the rooftops this time of year. Sounds like you got a good crew to get it done.
You're in good shape to finish if you got one on line yesterday. Hope you got plenty of coolers full of Gatorade. ;)
That shot of the controller, and equipment flying, sure makes me miss what I did for so many years. :(
Yeah, Dave the control troubleshooting can be the most aggravating but fun part of the job... Nowadays, some of the equipment needs troubleshooting before we can get it running. These in particular are very sweet and easy once you understand the main controllers.

Brandon, you are right about getting rid of the heat from reefer equipment. They are typically designed for a specific ambient and when that temp is exceeded, the effectiveness of the heat transfer is tremendously affected. 95 degrees is the typical design temp for the midwest.

Got the second up and running easily today...WooHooo !!!!! I still have a job tomorrow, we met the deadline !!!! :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Glad you got 'em up and runnin' Wendell. There's probably lots of folks that could use your services that were in the path of the "land hurricane" that passed by just to the north of us on FRYday night. A strong wind blew here for awhile with some tree damage.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
I had faith in you Wendell that you all would get it done. Uncle Sam will enjoy what he gets from your paycheck next week. ;)
You're right troubleshooting, wiring, and start up were my favorite things to do. It was the most fun part of the job.
Microprocessors made it much easier once you understood them, and every company made theirs just a bit different.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigDaveinKY said:
I had faith in you Wendell that you all would get it done. Uncle Sam will enjoy what he gets from your paycheck next week. ;)
You're right troubleshooting, wiring, and start up were my favorite things to do. It was the most fun part of the job.
Microprocessors made it much easier once you understood them, and every company made theirs just a bit different.
Yeah buddy, you are right about that BigDave...31 hrs o.t. in one week is waaaaaayyyyy too much for me !!! Uncle Sam sure gets his cut, then it's me and you that bleeds !! With this industry, the big problem is integrating the controls to what is existing in the Building Automation System...All brands don't want to talk to each other nicely so its most always a struggle. But, it's still fun :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Fourth if july is always a good time to change out all those big air handlers. It's always nice and cool we used to do this on the same weekend and also clean the cooling towers. hope this goes without indicent. Have a good and safe holiday weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts