Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking at an International 354. The owner says that it has a steering problem. It will only turn one way. The other way it is very hard to turn. It has power steering. Does anyone out there have any idea what the problem might be.? I like the tractor and can buy it right. But don't want to put a ton of money into it to fix the power steering. Any ideas or information about the problem will be very much appreciated. Is it hard to get parts for? thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
I do not know that tractor, but I suggest searching the net for a pic and schematic of the power steering hydraulic cylinder. I will.go out on a limb and guess that if it has a valve in it, the valve is not opening and closing properly.. i have had a simiar problem on a 445 Long. I replaced the cylinder with one from a parts tractor.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are no parts available new for that steering system. There were few models with that system, shown below. The problem as described is usually in the spool inside the cylinder. Mahindra made a tractor B-414 I think was the model that they copied but all of them were diesel and had no power steering. I have been told you can order parts and convert to non power steering. There is a kit available but it takes a lot of work and other changes to make it work. Here is the info....James

I see it is out of stock

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no parts available new for that steering system. There were few models with that system, shown below. The problem as described is usually in the spool inside the cylinder. Mahindra made a tractor B-414 I think was the model that they copied but all of them were diesel and had no power steering. I have been told you can order parts and convert to non power steering. There is a kit available but it takes a lot of work and other changes to make it work. Here is the info....James

I see it is out of stock
I can't thank you enough for the information. It is just what I needed. I will now keep looking for another tractor. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts