Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this site and am posting my first question. I recently inherited a 444 and it is having problems maintaining oil pressure. Upon starting it has 30 lbs of pressure but after a few minutes it looses pressure. I have changed the oil twice, its a little better but not much. Before I tear into this I would like to ask for advise and get any ideas on how to proceed, what to check before getting inside, etc. Looking for help.
The manual says it has a relief valve on the pump. Steiners sells a replacement spring and I'm wondering if that may be a solution?
I'm not noticing knocking even when it indicates low pressure.
An ideas where I should start?

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Have you tried another pressure gauge? Yours could be defective. What weight of are you using? In my gassers I use 15-40, 10-40, and 20-50. We are.warmer here but all seem to work about the same for me. I have a 140 that I bougbt in 1978. When cold the pressure gauge moves.a out halfway up the scale. When it gets warm, the gauge indicates maybe 5 lbs of pressure. It is not used like it once was, but is still the same. With the valve cover off, one sees plenty of oil in the top of the engine. Some IH oil pumps.can be rebuilt, but not.sure about yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim in NC
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I put a new pressure guage on it. The first time I changed the oil I put in SAE 30, recommended in the operators manual. I only had it in for about 5 hours operating time, then changed to 15-40. Its better than the 30wt but still isnt carrying much pressure. Where are you finding the 20-50 oil? I'd like to try that in it and see how it does. That would be better than tearing into it.
The IT manual I have says that the oil pump can be overhauled and Steiner's parts catalog shows a replacement spring and gear. I was hoping to use this tractor on some projects soon and really dont want to open it up. I'd like to try some o that 20-50 oil you mentioned first if its causing no issues for you.
Again, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
The 20-50 oil is available at Walmart. I am also aware that the oil pumps can be rebuilt. I have used many gallons of oil from Walmart in gas engines, mostly 10-40 and 20-50, since a store was built nearby about 20 years ago. I do not mean to be putting down other sellers' products either. It just happens to be a convenient place for us to shop. I use 15-40 in my diesels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got a chance to view this post. All of us need to remember these tractors are old and made out of good stuff. I ask this question: How many of us have cars or trucks from the fifty's, sixty's' and seventy's that are still running and have the original engines in them? My 68 year old Super H, and a A I had in the past had/have the same issue as your 444. Can I suggest that the low oil pressure is caused by accumulative wear. Everything in the engine is worn just enough to cause the issue we have. A few thousand's wear on all the parts adds up to enough to show up as low oil pressure.

I guess I'm saying a complete rebuild back to original specs would probably help the problem. But you could pay off the national debt doing it. So just like my old Super H that I don't run long enough any more to worry about. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
got a cub here that has never had more than 5 pounds in the 10 years I have owned it. I use it lightly and mostly just for the undermount grader blade around the place. The 340 I just bought that has been thru the mill, has 15 or so. I dont run them hard and they work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts