Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While deployed I lived off beef jerky, so much so that now I'm completely addicted to the stuff. I married a Chef and we toy around with jerky recipe's, and I'm currently working on a mongolian beef reicpe, but this is my go to that always turns out great:

IRQVET's Ultimate Black Pepper Beef Jerky:

- 3 to 4 pounds of top round and/or bottom round
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces of pineapple juice
- 2 tea spoons of liquid smoke
- 2 Table spoons of curing salt
- 2 ounces of honey and/or molasses
- Marinate for 8-12 hours
- Dust with fresh ground black pepper.
- Dehydrate for 4-8 hours (To desired toughness)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I haven't made beef or deer jerky for a number of years. I'd usually marinate in teriyaki. Yours sounds very appealing. One of these days I'm gonna do some turkey jerky.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I haven't made beef or deer jerky for a number of years. I'd usually marinate in teriyaki. Yours sounds very appealing. One of these days I'm gonna do some turkey jerky.
Wendell don't ask me to dress the turkey for you.:lol::hide:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Wendell don't ask me to dress the turkey for you.:lol::hide:
Steve, your Thanksgiving 'murder' story is the stuff legends are built of...Its become an annual event here on Thanksgiving day for me to read your account of butchering a turkey for the city slicker family. Then we listen to Alice's Restaurant at 12:00 sharp on KSHE-95. Still laughing....

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Irqvet, How thick do you slice the meat for curing and dehydrating?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Steve, your Thanksgiving 'murder' story is the stuff legends are built of...Its become an annual event here on Thanksgiving day for me to read your account of butchering a turkey for the city slicker family. Then we listen to Alice's Restaurant at 12:00 sharp on KSHE-95. Still laughing....
Wendell, this is why I buy my turkey at the store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Irqvet, How thick do you slice the meat for curing and dehydrating?
Usually around 1/8 of an inch. I've done some thinner and thicker cuts, but 1/8 in. after it dries and ultimately thins out seems to be the ticket. Its really up to personal preference (how much chew do you want).

I have a commercial dehydrator and a meat slicer in my kitchen so depending on what you're using you may want to adjust course.

Pics are from my last run. 50 pounds of round (can't remember if it was top round or bottom round) and my family polished off all 50 pounds in 3 weeks. I know, we have a serious addiction, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 3 kids and I cook like that all the time, of course with a little change. The problem is the preparation, I get very tired at work and it becomes difficult for me to cut meat and vegetables. Do you use a slicer for cutting large quantities of food? I think to choose one of these. I hope it will save me time and energy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts