Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the news a bit ago that a tornado hit parts of Louisville. Just wondering how bad it was and praying no one was hurt.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Just a twister, knocked one house over, took the roof off another. Did a job on some metal outbuildings. ;)
No injuries to humans, one horse, and one dog were taken to the local vet. by police authorities. 110 mph winds 40 yards wide.
It hit just southeast of town, out of nowhere. A police officer saw it and called it in, before a watch was even posted by the NWS.
The folks who's house got pushed off it's foundation and collapsed were vacationing, and a neighbor had the fun of calling to tell them. :roll:
News footage showed a metal building roof against a power line pole, with the power lines all in tact. ;)

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
We have been close to the path of a tornado a few times. Within a mile or two. Been lucky. Both here and in Ohio. One really stands out.
My bride and I were sitting on the kitchen porch, facing east. Watching the clouds racing from the west, just after a storm.
Then, as they went past, coming into view from under the porch roof, I noticed the bottom of the cloud moving due south, not east.
As it moved on we could see, to the right and left, the spiral moving at the bottom of the clouds as it passed right over the house.
It was, just guessing, 150 yards wide, spinning as it moved fully into sight. When it moved over the creek, 500 feet from the house,
a spiral of water jetted into the air a few hundred feet, three or four times as high as the treetops. Right in front of us,
in the clearing where the power lines come through. I looked at my bride and said "We just got lucky."
Funny thing is we didn't feel any wind. I'm guessing because the house blocked us. We watched as it moved quickly out of sight.
The treetops swirling as it passed over. Luckily, that day it didn't develop any worse. It was an eerie feeling knowing,
that if the storm had been stronger, we would have been right in the path of a tornado. Something you don't forget. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts