Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my uncle Rodger left me his 1941 Ford 9N. Rodger was a body and fender man so it's a good looking tractor.
I brought home a set of discs, a box scraper, and a Leinbach Model 30 Dirt scoop.
My question is about the dirt scoop. It has attach points on front and back, so I know it will fit on the 3Pt in either direction, but is it ok to use in reverse? I'd like to use it to load from a 12 yard pile of top soil, so not a lot of heavy pushing. But the tractor only has stabilizer chains on the 3Pt lower arms.
I've seen iron braces that extend to the outboard ends of the rear axle. Should I find a set of these before I attempt using the scoop in reverse?
I've done some browsing in the manual and other magazines he left me with the tractor, but I'm not finding anything specific about loading in reverse. Is it just a bad idea?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
No experience here whatsoever with a scoop, but I believe I could run circles around its uses with a box blade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No experience here whatsoever with a scoop, but I believe I could run circles around its uses with a box blade.
I've used a box blade and the scoop on this tractor in the forward direction and I would agree with you. I live on a half acre in the woods, not a lot of maneuvering room. Unfortunately my pile of dirt is behind my shop (the only place the 12 yard dump truck could get to). And the only route from the dirt pile to the area I want to spread it on is around a group of fir and cedar trees that are only about 8 feet from a wood shed, and the ground is not level enough to drag a box blade on, too many tree roots in harms way. Once I get it moved I'll use the box blade to smooth it out. So the scoop is the logical tool if it doesn't hurt the tractor to use it in reverse to pick up the pile.

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
I've used a box blade and the scoop on this tractor in the forward direction and I would agree with you. I live on a half acre in the woods, not a lot of maneuvering room. Unfortunately my pile of dirt is behind my shop (the only place the 12 yard dump truck could get to). And the only route from the dirt pile to the area I want to spread it on is around a group of fir and cedar trees that are only about 8 feet from a wood shed, and the ground is not level enough to drag a box blade on, too many tree roots in harms way. Once I get it moved I'll use the box blade to smooth it out. So the scoop is the logical tool if it doesn't hurt the tractor to use it in reverse to pick up the pile.
[/QUOTE

Those Fords are geared high to me, especially in reverse. That would cause me to be a bit more careful. You have to work within the conditions you have. I get it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember reading some of that, but I don't recall seeing the part specific to the scoop. I probably read it last year when I brought the tractor home, before I had a project requiring the scoop to be on backwards. Thanks, it pretty much says don't push to hard or you'll bend or break something.
And I have found a set of stabilizers, so I'll put those on before I put the scoop on. Thanks so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts