Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out this morning for a doctors appointment and, some grocery shopping.
Came out of the Dr.'s office and the truck when RRRRR, click, click, click. :roll: Great. :x
Seems I'm always out somewhere in clothes that I don't want to get dirty when something like this happens. :?
Called AAA, and the guy was there in ten minutes. Mustta been close havin' a cuppa joe. :cool:
He put his little "jumper box" on it, and didn't help a bit. He grumbled, "I hate diesels."
Then he pulled out an anemic looking six foot long set of jumper cables, and said "We're not supposed to carry these, but I do anyway."
I looked at what he had and said, "Those won't help, let me get some that will.", and dug out my heavy duty (for store bought) #6 gauge cables.
Luckily I was a mile from Sears so I headed that way. I use Diehard batteries in my car and truck, because of their warranty. Three year full
replacement, and 100 months prorated. I replaced both batteries in Nov. 2005 according to my receipt, at a cost of $247. I didn't realize it had
been that long, but oh well. I had a problem in Feb. 2009 and they replaced one prorated for $55. I don't like changing just one battery, because
I've seen several times a old battery weaken a new one, but had no choice at the time, as I was wondering where my next paycheck was coming from.
Anyway, got to Sears, handed the guy my receipts for the batteries and said "I need a new battery, I don't know which. The right side is the newer one."
Then, I went to browse the "special tables" in the tool dept. :) Came back in about 20 minutes, and he said, "We had to replace them both,
the newer one shorted out and the other one was getting weak. Since the one was just over 30 days out of full warranty I went ahead and replaced it free,
the other prorates to just over $75." ($129 regular price) So, with tax and installation, I got two new 850 cca. batteries for $100, Not too shabby.
Now I hope I'm good to go for another six or seven years. Which seems to be what I get out of most of my batteries.;)

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Batteries never go out at a good time Dave. I have a weak one that i need to replace. Glad you got it fixed :!:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bad luck shore changed Dave to get two batteries for $100 dollars,your battries last longer than ours do,and in harder
conditions than we have here are they made in America????

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Colin, the Diehard Gold series that I like to use in my road vehicles are made in the U.S. by Interstate Batteries.
They are made with new lead other than recycled, thus the 36/100 month warranty, and few dollars more.
I was really pleased that one he could have charged me some for, he replaced free.
I changed a battery in my D-15 Allis last Spring that was dated 2001. First battery I ever got 10 years service from.
I usually get four or five service years in the tractors. It was a Tractor Supply brand topshelf battery, so I put the same back in. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Glad the weather wasn't nasty when that happened; usually here they pick the worst possible time to say ouch. In a way i kind of envy You. We can't get the better batteries here without a minimum of 50 mile one way drive. Hope Your 7 year batteries stretch out to 12 year batteries :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
First battery I ever got 10 years service from.
I usually get four or five service years in the tractors.
My 2001 Kubota still has the original battery and starts right up everytime. Even after sitting all winter. My JD 4000 on the hand eats those 6 volt batteries like no tomorrow.

I noticed my diesel truck would start slow in the winter months, so I got out the load tester and checked each battery. Yep, had a weak one. Replaced it and now she starts right up no matter what the temp is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts