Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating for a couple of years and finally decided to sell my JD 30 combine. I have had it for 20 years or so. When we grew tobacco, I rotated my tobacco land with rye. I would combine the rye and use for seeding he next crop, grind it for feed, and use it to mix up tobacco dust. It will be leaving here early Sunday morning for about a 30 mile trip.

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bettyp said:
Now Jim what are you going to do with out it?
Not going to miss it are ?
This would be the third year that I have not used it. It is hard for me to move and handle sacks of grain with these wrecked shoulders, and I need the shed space. Selling something that is not needed is cheaper than building a new shed which I still need to do. I have more tractors coming :!: :D

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts
When it's something you know you'll never use again, and need the shed space.
It's better to sell it to someone you know will get some good use out of it, than just let it sit.
Unless it's part of a set you don't want to part with. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, the new owner is gonna use it. He has been haying his farm but the high price of grain has him wanting to plant a little. A good fit for both of us. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
prwttsh said:
Did he pull it that 30 miles or truck it?
He is planning on getting it about daylight on Sunday morning and pulling it home. It is too wide for his trailer. When I bought it, I pulled home from Mocksville, NC about 40 miles to my home right through Winston-Salem on I-40 about the middle of the day. :eek: I would hate to do that now with traffic the way it is here.

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts
Jim in NC said:
prwttsh said:
Did he pull it that 30 miles or truck it?
He is planning on getting it about daylight on Sunday morning and pulling it home. It is too wide for his trailer. When I bought it, I pulled home from Mocksville, NC about 40 miles to my home right through Winston-Salem on I-40 about the middle of the day. :eek: I would hate to do that now with traffic the way it is here.
If I tried to pull that down the interstate here I'd get so many traffic tickets it would bankrupt me. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The buyer came early Sunday morning. We hitched the 30 to his pickup, and he drove off. His dad came and followed behind. As far as I know, he made it to his home.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Always sad to se something go :( , but a mans gota do what a mans gota do, :? Is the tractor on the combine one of your new comers, it looks like a Fiat or Universal, it must have European heritage somewhere in its genes

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tha Ulsterscot said:
Always sad to se something go :( , but a mans gota do what a mans gota do, :? Is the tractor on the combine one of your new comers, it looks like a Fiat or Universal, it must have European heritage somewhere in its genes
Good eye Paddy! It is a Long, assembled in Tarboro, NC, from Universal Tractor in Romaina. It has a Fiat engine, and I have had it since 1981. It is a mid-seventies model. It still runs well and gets the job done. The power steering is a bit sluggish sometimes. Gonna use it tomorrow to spread fertilizer. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen a pic of someone who made a hitch come off the right side of the truck bumper over to the right to allow the combine to trail more in the lane, a guy on another board pulled an All Crop 60 or 90 a long way on New Year's day or something like that, he put flags on the combine corners and got some of those magnetic base tail lights and used them as flashers.Said there was one narrow bridge he had to wait until he saw no one coming the other way then hurry arcross it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You could fit two or three tractors where that unit sat from the look of it. How many hp did it take to run it.

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran the 30 with the Long that is hitched to it, 42 hp. I have a 35 hp Long also, and it would handle it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts