Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been working on a 3300 with the diesel engine. The sediment bowl had a few small feathers in it and the fuel was black. I got home a few days ago and Chris had the tank off and found a very flamable bird inside. Now everything is clean and new filters and sounds stronger. We put a new tailing auger belt on today and the tach belt. The brake adjuster bolts have been twisted off so it has no brakes and the adjuster that changes thrasher cylinder speed is frozen and is running at 575 RPM with no load. We have a plan of attack for the brakes but I'm not sure where to start with the cylinder speed adjuster. Thanks for any ideas on this machine.....mike

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
If you intend to do a bit of work with it, I think you'd better overhaul the speed adjuster unit. The machine won't do a quality job unless you have that unit (speed adjuster) in good order.
But if it's just going to be used as a show pony it's ok.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not sure on a 3300 but 6600 and 7700 had a small knob in the center of the crank inside the cab. Turn counter clockwise to unlock. Then a chain run down to the sheave to adjust, is the threaded rod rusted or gummed up or is the sheave stuck on the shaft. Remove the chain and try to turn the bottom sprocket. I have heard of people needing to heat the sheave to get it to move on the shaft....James

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bird was in there when we got it, the only thing that could have happened was the cap was left off and the bird went in looking for a place to build a nest and once in he couldn't find the way out. The shape of the neck to the tank would let in very little light.

In the cab there is a warning not to turn the cyl. speed adjuster with it not running and I'm guessing it means while the seperator is running. Won't get back working on it for a while so will try to find more info on freeing it up.....mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
The cylinder needs to be running, especially if closing the sheave because the belt needs to ride up in the sheave, if not running it just pinches the belt tight. I would remove the belt if the adjuster won't move at all, until you get it freed up. Might need a light lube like a penetrating oil, don't get it on the belt. There is a grease fitting in there to lube the shaft to sheave, not a lot, just enough to keep it free....James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts