Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I've had my 1968 JD 112 for about 2 months now and have mowed a few times with it. This last time I noticed it wasn't cutting after it had been running for about 30 min. The engine was fine, drive was fine, just not cutting. I confirmed that the mower blades were NOT spinning or not spinning very fast. I shut her down. After an hour online trying to figure it out (with no luck) I jumped back on and it seemed to be cutting fine. but again, after maybe 10min same thing. I checked the belts and it looks fine although it may be loose(Is there an adjustment knob for this?). The tractor has a knob on the front and one on the rear that I'm not quite sure what they do.

I'm new to vintage JD so I'm hoping someone out there has an idea, cause I'm stumped.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
There may be an adjustment on the mower deck to set the belt a bit tighter. There is on my D130. It's eay once the deck is accessible. It could also be caused by debris around the belt pulleys. Admittedly, I don't know the 112 specifics.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Poorly adjusted belts is my guess as well. Tho yes. Take the belt off and make sure the blade spindles spin freely. If you fouled the spindle underneath or bearings are going bad. You will be burning up belts as it gets warm from running. So spin the spindle with your fingers. If the spindle doesnt easily spin or continue to spin after it was spun by hand, you will have established what spindle may be suspect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts