Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My John Deere 40 is running as if it’s missing. Trying to determine what’s causing it. I have replaced the plugs, points and coil. I thought it was running better but then went back to its old ways. To me it’s like it’s not getting fuel. Once it stops I can’t get it started again. Any thoughts?!?!

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
About 20 years ago I was fortunate enough to acquire my Grandaddy's 1955 40S. When I got it running it was only firing on one cylinder. After checking the electrical and fuel basics, I checked its compression. The problem was that an intake valve was not seating properly. I repaired that and it has been fine since. It did have a mud dauber nest in the carb, but it was the new valve repair that fixed it. Best of luck with it, and let us know what you find out.

Reactions: roysbell

·
Registered
191 Posts
To me it’s like it’s not getting fuel

You might consider replacing the condenser.

A failing condenser will act as if running out of gas.

Once the tractor stops, it may or may not start again.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About 20 years ago I was fortunate enough to acquire my Grandaddy's 1955 40S. When I got it running it was only firing on one cylinder. After checking the electrical and fuel basics, I checked its compression. The problem was that an intake valve was not seating properly. I repaired that and it has been fine since. It did have a mud dauber nest in the carb, but it was the new valve repair that fixed it. Best of luck with it, and let us know what you find out.
I did check the compression before and they were both okay. I will recheck just to make sure. Thanks

·
Administrator
4,642 Posts
I agree with James about the condenser. I've had new ones last just a few hours in the past few years.
Thinking something new is working right and it's not will make one loose hair by the handfuls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts