Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple pictures of my John Deere 630 that's going to be one of me and my Nephews future projects, if we ever get around to it, as time and finances allow. Got a couple things in front of it, but i am itching to get it running sometime soon. It was stuck when we got it, but got the motor freed up with about a month of soaking, and turning the flywheel back and forth with a wrench every time we happened to walk past it.
You can now spin the flywheel freely, but whether the plugs are in or out, seems like no compression, so may have to delve a little deeper.
Any Ideas? I am hoping I can get by without a complete engine overhaul. The oil looked good tho, so no other fluids had been mixing with it, till we put in a cocktail of atf, marvel mystery oil and diesel fuel in it to break it loose.
The tractor had been kept inside a barn, so that was a plus. One other bad thing is it is going to need rear tires and at least one, maybe 2 new rims, as the fluid has took its toll on them. I figure, if I can get it running, then I will worry about tires. I believe this will make me a real nice old tractor once its fixed and running again. Sheet metal is in pretty good shape as well.
6302.jpg 6301.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it spins over with no compression with the plugs in I’m thinking stuck valve(s). You should be able to pull the valve cover off and see about that and possibly get them unstuck. Could possibly be the rings are stuck as well. Good looking tractor!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. We will pull the valve cover and see if the valves are moving.
I will be updating this thread as we progress with it. We got the tractor at auction, and
folks that was there evidently didn't want to bid on it because the auctioneer stated that the
engine was locked up and the bidding started at 100.00. We took it home for 275.00.
When I woke up the next morning, I had to go in the shed and look again to make sure
I wasn't waking up from a dream. :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me and the Nephew finally got to hunting down the no compression problem, and
we pulled the valve cover and found that the exhaust valves are stuck in the open
position, therefore, no compression. Been trying to get them to free up.
Tapping on them with a block of wood, penetrating oil, ect. Got the one on the left to work loose somewhat, but is still sticking, then coming loose, sticking again. Right one is not budging yet. At this point, if we cant get them freed up, may have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop. Any ideas? Anything else we can try before pulling it off?
On the good side, it looks like no water has got into the head, and looks like it should.
The valves circled in green look like they are working as they should. the ones circled in red are the problem valves.
Head.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
I'd almost be tempted to pull the rockshaft and head and soak them in a pan of your favorite penetrant, and while off fill the cylinders too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would bite the bullet and take the head in to the shop and have it checked for cracks and do the valve job. It's just a piece of mind for me when I am redoing a tractor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had any time to play with the 630 over the past few weeks due to getting ready for the annual hay ride and camp out, but now that it is over, I plan on jumping back in on it here soon. I took the wife down to the shop on Monday, as we were storing some tables and chairs, and pointed it out to her, and said, you know, that would make the greatest hay ride tractor. (she frowns on my tractor projects most of the time. thinks I have too many). If I could just get it fixed up before this time next year. She looked at it and said, you think we need it? I said, oh yes, I think the guests would be "amazed", riding behind that one. I just need you onboard with fixing it, If I need some spare money to finish the job quicker. She says ok, that sounds good, but make sure it is ready before next year. You guys see what I did, don't ya? ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I ordered a shop manual, a parts manual and an owners manual
for the 630. The books came in the mail on Friday. Hopefully these will be a good "Go To" guide, and help us with getting it back going.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Up in Canada we always have an abundance of snow to be moved so my last two tractors I’ve bought have been for clearing snow.... or that’s how I explained it to my wife.🤫 I’m sure the manual will give some good info. Can’t ever have too much when working on a fun project like that. Cool looking tractor! Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the 630. I haven't forgot about it. the new wiring harness for it came in a few weeks ago. Also had to order a new 3 way switch, and got that in, as well as a new tune up kit. I wont need these parts until the motor work is done, but Ive been trying to order a few things ahead for it, so my pocket book won't take such a hard hit all at once. next thing on the list is a new intake and manifold kit. I am taking the gas tank over to the radiator shop. I am going to have it boiled out and need them to braze that long metal spout those 630's have on the tank, as it has broke off at the braze point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts