Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for a better steering wheel for my early, unstyled AR. Many suppliers list the hub as "stepped" & some give 2 measurements.
My wheel has a tapered hole in the hub which seems original. Is this the normal situation? Are all of the repro wheels tapered?

I also am looking for 1 rocker arm adjusting screw for the same tractor - used is fine, someone broke the lock nut area off one of mine.

Thank you,
Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your steering wheel is in okay shape it can be repaired with bondo in the cracks, sand it back down and spray paint it black. The repoes I’ve dealt with all sucked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. My wheel is in bad shape & rust has formed under the hard rubber rim in places.

What problems have you found with the repro wheels? Is the flat spoked wheel any good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The repo wheels I’ve bought, the centers have been horrible, didn’t fit right and had to do some filing or reaming. Of course they were from a major supplier who has lots of stuff made overseas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again. Were all of the hubs tapered with a keyway?

I have removed the tape from my wheel & the rubber is cracked or loose all the way around - just not repairable so I likely will have to deal with a bad hub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have talked to Steiner & the "stepped" hub in the description is actually a tapered hub with a keyway. Possibly tapered translates from Chinese to stepped?? I have ordered a wheel & if the taper is off I have a #3 Morse taper reamer that will make it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wheel from Steiner arrived & is now on the AR. The taper in the hub was a little off but a Morse Taper reamer cleaned it up easily. It would have worked but did not have a lot of contact. The new heat gauge also fits well & seems of acceptable quality.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I'm glad you got it sorted out. Good lookin' AR. :good: Are you restoring or just repairing?
It has a really nice Rumely to keep it company inside the barn.
If ya don't mind me asking, and you have time, post us a thread about it on the A/C board.
I'm at least dying to know what model it is. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Yes a very nice AR. I also see part of the Rumley. Real sweet!

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Yes a very nice AR. I also see part of the Rumely. Real sweet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The JD will stay pretty much as it is. It looks like the cast parts for the most part have original paint, Most of the tin has been painted a long time ago. I have gone a long way toward making it mechanically sound & safe. Often a machine in its "working clothes" can be a lot more fun to play with.

The Rumely is a 1927 X 25-40 light weight - superpower. It is one of the early 25-40s with the larger flywheel & a number of other differences. It is at the other end of the scale compared to the JD - every nut & bolt has been restored & finished like a new car. It still is fun but the need to be careful is always there. (I am not sure what the AC board is??)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts