Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 1948 john deere b. Charging system not converted. Still has the 6 volt positive ground. Noticed the Amp Gauge barely moves toward charge if at all. Tractor has been cranking progressively slower. Obviously not or only barely charging. I grounded the field terminal and nothing changed. I got the model number off the generator, and bought a rebuild kit and matching regulator (based on the model number). Rebuilt the generator and installed new regulator. Polarized it. Charging system seemed to slowly work up to around 6.9 volts, but then after about 10 minutes running it dropped back to 6.3 volts and stayed there. If I turned the lights on it dropped way down. I grounded the field terminal again and it went full charge. So it appears to be a regulator problem. After doing a little research it seems as if the three brush generators are supposed to have a "cut off" not a regulator. What I got was a two coil regulator. The one I took off was also a two coil regulator. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,977 Posts
I would make sure all electrical connections are clean and shiny. The positive ground connection should be close to the starter. I have read over the last few years the quality of regulators in general has declined. With that in mind I suggest make sure that yours is good before replacing it.

Reactions: RacerX

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim. I failed to mention in my post that cleaning and checking battery and wire connections was the first thing I did. I will certainly recheck. I have been reading that the 3 brush generators can be cantankerous. Wasn't sure if anyone has experienced this. Of course grounding the field terminal resulted in full charge from the generator. Maybe load testing the wiring would be an option. Was questioning if this set up was originally intended to have cut out not a two coil regulator. Maybe it has been wrong for a long time. Just thinking out loud. Thank you.
Show quoted text

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I recently purchased a 1948 john deere b. Charging system not converted. Still has the 6 volt positive ground. Noticed the Amp Gauge barely moves toward charge if at all. Tractor has been cranking progressively slower. Obviously not or only barely charging. I grounded the field terminal and nothing changed. I got the model number off the generator, and bought a rebuild kit and matching regulator (based on the model number). Rebuilt the generator and installed new regulator. Polarized it. Charging system seemed to slowly work up to around 6.9 volts, but then after about 10 minutes running it dropped back to 6.3 volts and stayed there. If I turned the lights on it dropped way down. I grounded the field terminal again and it went full charge. So it appears to be a regulator problem. After doing a little research it seems as if the three brush generators are supposed to have a "cut off" not a regulator. What I got was a two coil regulator. The one I took off was also a two coil regulator. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Haney. I have to do some more research. Just seems odd that in the Steiners catalog my generator model number called for that regulator. If you don't mind me asking, what was your experience with yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know the parts people calll for the regulator but the generator, alt. starter rebuild pro that rebuilt my gen said and had in stock the cut out switch that is supposed to be on it instead of the modern regulator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts