Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a tractor at auction. My JD B will not start. it's a 6 volt with distributor. I have replaced the points and condenser, cap and rotor, the coil and the plugs. I get a spark at the plug and a gas mist comes out of the plug holes when the tractor is turned over. {The left side piston puts out more of a spray than a mist}. The tractor does not even try to start it just turns over when pushing the starter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If I am getting fuel, and I am getting fire, the next thing I check whether I am getting too much, or not enough fuel, then I would check the engine compression. I would take the valve cover off and see if both the intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing like they should. If you've replaced the coil, plug wires, plugs, points, condenser, rotor button
and distributor cap, and the points and plugs are gapped to speck, plug wires going to the right pistons, oil cleaned off the new point contacts by hitting them lightly with fine grit sand paper, and have the right amount of fuel going in there, she should fire, unless there's a valve that's not opening or closing, or the timing could also be off where someone else has been working on it. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell you some other stuff to look for. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I unbolted the air cleaner tube to the carburetor and took it off, The tractor started. If I pulled back the fuel lever to where the tractor was just idling, Gas started coming out of the carburetor air intake. Also when I shut the tractor off Gas ran out of the carburetor air intake.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Sounds like you found your problem easy enough. Sticky float. Ain't nothing a good cleaning and adjustment or a rebuild kit for the carb won't fix.
I generally do that with every old tractor I've bought. Clean and put a kit in the carb. Saves a lot of trouble when one doesn't need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts