Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

It happens that my father owns an old John Deere that I am not sure to identify. This vehicle was bought new, not long after the second world war, by an ancestor of mine. It worked hard all its life, before getting a lot of sleep in its barn. I would love, one day, to re-sart it properly! That would put a smile on my father's face, and on mine - not to talk about my son's.

But before that, I must gather information and identify the vehicle. Here in France these models are really not common to see (in fact, I never saw another of its kind, even if modern John Deere models can be found quite easily here). When I first saw it as a child, I was impressed by the two, small wheels at the front.

The tractor is about 4-5 hours of drive from my home and I do not have all the time I need to see it (work, wife, children...). That's why it will take a lot of time (months or more) until I start working on it; but before that I have some questions:

-which model is it? I am thinking about a Type A or Type B. I did not find the identification plates. Any information can be useful (producion era...). This might seem an odd question I know...
-do you know where/if common spare parts are available? I bet some websites will help, please do not hesitate to give recommendation.
-Before anything, I will need to bleed the fuel tanks (petrol and gazoline), the engine and gearbox lubricants, the coolant. Do I forget any fluid? Do the gearbox and the axle have the same compartment? Which grades or quality of modern oils can I use? Are these bleedings easy to do? Knowing the volumes of each fluid would help.
-Are there any filters? If yes, can they be found new?
-The vehicle has been "adapted" on the electrical system. I do not know if the voltage has been changed (was it in 6 volts originaly?). I see some modern coils next to the magneto, not sure of the way it should work. I'm pretty sure the round box added on the steering support is not original.
-is there a way to make the engine move without cranking it, in order to see if it is "stuck"? Sorry my english is poor, I'm not sure about the word.
-Is there a part missing at the front?
-Do I need some non-metric and/or special tools at first?
-Where can I buy/find documentation? Operator's manual, spare parts catalogue, workshop book...I will have a look on the forum, of course.

Here are some pictures, I apologize for the quality. And there is a lot of stuff around it at the moment...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg

Without beeing too confident, the fact the tractor came on its wheels where it sits today is a good sign. My major concerns are about corrosion, especially in the fuel tanks and radiator/coolant system. I do not know what I will find.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
It is either an A or B as you say, but it seems to me it is an A, with the dual fuel tanks. (kerosine and/or petrol) it has a squab seat which replaced the Steel seat around the 1940's.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
Hopefully James Howell and/or R.J. will see this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has indeed the two fuel tanks. It used to be started on one and, when hot, switched to the other wich was more economical at the time. Do you know if B-types did exist with such this sytem? If not, then I believe the model is known.

·
Administrator
4,124 Posts
Yes. the model B was built to run on gasoline or distilate from 1935 through 1947 when a gasoline only version was also made available.
So a model B was basically a duel fuel tractor most of it's production. The battery box under the seat dates your tractor to '47 to 52 model year.
There wasn't a lot of difference between a Model A and B except size. Measure to the top of the bonnet 142cm is a Model B, and 152cm is a model A.
I'm betting on a Model B from the photo with the water heater and cat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I will try to find the VIN plates on the vehicle next time I can go around it.

This tractor came to France via the Marshall Plan. This one was one of the first, if not the first, of this model sold in the area. There still is a John Deere dealer not so far, I will contact it, one never knows...

By the way (coincidence!), I worked a few days as a temp worker in the John Deere plant in Orléans (south of Paris) where they build engines.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would say that it is a model B by the way the gauges are laid out on the dash panel.The A would have the gauges straight up and down in line on the straight dash model A's. both sides of the front grill are missing. I am looking forward to more pictures, when you get it pulled out, and in the light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there!

An unexpected trip brought me not far from the tractor a few days ago. I managed to take some new pictures and found the identification plate. I can confirm this is a B model!

I also stopped by the nearest John Deere dealer but he has no archives or any information about old stuff.

First thing first: the cat is still here and yes, he was waiting for me.

Here is the plate, right under the magneto. This indicates a B of the third series as already stated, built in 1948 according to this site. Well guessed, thanks!

About the magneto, some coils have been added, I guess from an old repair. One for the spark, the other one as safety when the first gets too hot I think. This is what we do on some old cars here. I do not know anything about magnetos for the moment but it looks fairly simple to time according to some videos I found. This is a Wico, X serie.

There is a hole in the radiator; due to corrosion I think:

I managed to make the engine turn by rotating the pulley (gearbox in neutral), quite easily. Nothing is blocked, we hear the compressions. The clutch looks operationnal.

Corrosion on the seatbox, surely due to the battery's acid. Do you know the purpose of the pedal on the floor?

There is a PTO shaft at the back. I do not know for the moment if there is a power lift or power trol, but I do not think so. The rear light glass is broken.

We can see that the electrical wiring is to be re-made. A horn was added, magneto is surely out of order, wires are old or missing, etc. Battery was removed. Dynamo belt is missing. Some interruptors added...

I guess that on the day that I try to start this tractor, I'll have to bring a new radiator, magneto, battery, wirings, spark plugs. Before that of course I'll have to drain everything.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It has the power trol. The lift would be fitted to the arms protruding out from under each side of the seat. The pedal coming from under the battery box looks like it would be a control for the lift arms. You will be needing several things to bring the tractor back to running working order, but it will worth it in the end, for you, your Father and Son. Once finished, you will have something you all, will be proud of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is exactly the point! Such stories are great when it come to family memories.

I'll go for information about the Power Trol. I had noticed the two strange arms on left and right, without understanding their purpose. Thanks for your comment!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts